Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Bandits: Army confirms killing of 11 soldiers in Benue

“The Nigerian army appeal to the public to volunteer useful information that will lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of this dastardly act.”

• April 9, 2021
Ibrahim Attahiru
Chief of Army Staff, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru [Photo credit: BBC]

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the killing of one officer and 10 soldiers on stabilisation operation in Benue.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

Peoples Gazette had earlier broken the news that a stockpile of military hardware with about N28 million cash was carted away by marauding bandits who ambushed a select group of Nigerian troops on a reinforcement mission to quell pockets of communal clashes in Benue.

Mr Yerima said the troops were initially declared missing, which led to the deployment of a joint search and rescue team comprising army troops and Operation Whirl Stroke personnel.

He explained that the search and rescue team, unfortunately, found all the missing troops dead in Konshisha local government area.

According to him, while the slain troops’ bodies were evacuated immediately, efforts are ongoing to track down the attackers.

Mr Yerima disclosed that the Nigerian Army would remain resolute in ensuring stability in Benue and other parts of the country that are affected by criminal gangs’ activities.

He noted further that the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, had directed commanders on the ground to fish out and deal decisively with bad elements threatening peace in the area.

“It may be recalled that Benue which was a hotbed of violent clashes has been enjoying relative peace following the successes achieved by the various security agencies that have been working tirelessly to safeguard law-abiding citizens and ensure they go about their legitimate business without fear of harassment by criminals.

“The Nigerian army appeal to the public to volunteer useful information that will lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of this dastardly act,” he said.

(NAN)

More from Peoples Gazette

Makinde and Amotekun

Ibadan

Insecurity: Makinde inaugurates Security Network board, Amotekun corps

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo inaugurated the board of the State Security Network and Amotekun corps amid worsening insecurity in the state.

Ibadan

Bandit heading to Ibadan with military kits intercepted: Army

Army says its troops operating along Mokwa-Jebba road intercepted a fleeing bandit in a vehicle travelling from Zuru to Ibadan during a stop-and-search operation.

States

Schoolchildren Abduction: Fulani leaders support fight against bandits

Fulani leaders have thrown their weight behind the fight against bandits in Kebbi amid the latest mass abduction of schoolchildren.

Google tech

Economy

Nigerian female entrepreneurs among beneficiaries of Google’s $6 million grant

Google says it will support female startups and entrepreneurs in Nigeria and other African nations with $6 million.

Weah, Buhari, Nana, Ouattara

Africa

Nigeria, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia meet over insecurity

Nigeria joined Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Liberia in Banjul at a regional conference to discuss insecurity in West Africa.

Chad President

Africa

Activist asks Nigeria to help Chad avoid genocide

Chadian activist Ibrahim Congy has called on Nigeria to help Chad avoid genocide.