Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Chelsea v. Tottenham: English FA charges Tuchel, Conte; mum on referees’ poor showing 

Tuchel and Conte were sent off after the highly tense match marred by poor officiating by centre referee Anthony Taylor and VAR Mike Dean.

• August 15, 2022
furious bust-up between Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte
furious bust-up between Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte

The Football Association (FA) has charged Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte with “improper behaviour” following their clash during a Premier League game between their teams on Sunday.

“Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte have both been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3, following the Premier League fixture between Chelsea FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC on Sunday 14 August 2022,” a statement by the FA Monday reads. “It is alleged that the behaviour of both managers was improper following the end of the fixture.”

The FA added, “Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte have until Thursday 18 August 2022 to provide their respective responses.”

Tuchel and Conte were sent off after the highly tense match marred by poor officiating by centre referee Anthony Taylor and VAR Mike Dean.

The match ended 2-2 but managers’ bitter confrontation dominated discussions after Sunday evening’s clash between Chelsea and Tottenham.

There were also not a few condemnations of referee Taylor for failing to call glaring fouls against Tottenham in the build up to their two goals.

Kalidou Koulibaly opened the scoring for Chelsea in the 19th minute but Pierre-Emile Højbjerg restored parity for Spurs in the second half. Kai Havertz had been brought down earlier and Richarlison standing in an offside position interfered in the path of Højberg’s shot.

Spurs’ second equaliser after Reece James put Chelsea ahead in the 77th minute was even more controversial.

Romero was seen pulling Marc Cucurella’s hair before Harry Kane turned in a superb header but Mr Taylor who was standing right behind the players failed to call a foul. A VAR check also shockingly dismissed the infringement.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

INEC chairman Mahmood Yakubu

NationWide

Attacks on our facilities won’t stop 2023 elections: INEC

INEC said it would replace election materials that were lost in the attacks ahead of 2023.

Bruno Fernandez celebrates goal against Uruguay

Sport

Qatar 2022: Manchester United duo send Portugal, Brazil to World Cup round of 16

Manchester United duo of Bruno Fernandes and Casemiro netted the winners in both important fixtures.

Nasiru Idris

Politics

2023: I’ll establish ministry to tackle political thuggery, APC guber candidate says

Nasiru Idris said the ministry would also be mandated to fish out drug addicts across Kebbi.

Elon Musk

Hot news Home top

Apple wants to remove Twitter from its store: Elon Musk

Mr Musk also claims that Apple has suspended majority of its advertisements on Twitter.

Sport

National Sports Festival: 14,000 athletes to compete for medals in Asaba

The 36 states and the FCT will be competing in over 30 different sports in the festival.

Nigeria Exchange (NGX)

Economy

NGX: Investors lose N64 billion in bearish trading

The downturn was due to sell-offs in tier-one banks and industrial stocks such as Zenith Bank, Stanbic Bank and BUA Cement.