Newspaper vendors ask govt to limit online media to save business

Newspaper vendors have called on the federal government to save their businesses from going extinct by limiting the scope of online publications.
Emeka Nweze, the Chairman of the Anambra Newspaper Distribution Association in Awka made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Awka on Saturday.
Mr. Nweze said that activities of online media publications have taken a huge toll on the newspaper sales and led to low patronage from customers.
“This development has seriously threatened our businesses as we hardly sell up to 100 papers in a day,” he said.
He told NAN that he used to sell all the newspaper stock in a day, but people prefer to source news from online publications these days without verifying their authenticity.
“Our businesses are presently sustained by paid advertorials, job vacancy placements and other forms of advertorials.
“We earnestly hope for a change in fortunes and still believe that newspapers have more merits than online publications.
“Government should consider the fact that newspaper vendors depend on commissions and when newspapers are not sold, they might be induced to seek alternative means of survival,” he said.
He said that he had been engaged in newspaper sales for 34 years and has not experienced the sort of ‘sales drought’ currently being experienced.
Also, Ms. Nancy Okoye, another newspaper vendor also told NAN in an interview that the government could enact laws that would sustain newspaper sales while enabling online publications to thrive.
“I appeal to news publishers to curtail their online publications among other news contents, to keep newspaper vendors in business,” she said.
Okey Ifebunna, an ardent newspaper reader, told NAN that he has sustained his newspapers readership to verify the news sourced from online publications.
“I agree that it is easier to access news from online sources, but efforts should be intensified to verify their sources in order to check the spread of fake news,” he said.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
CBN retains interest rate at 26.5%, cites inflation risks, Middle East tensions
The latest decision extends the CBN’s careful policy approach after two consecutive rate cuts since September 2025.

Hot news Home top
Judge blocks Trump from deporting Nigerian woman under pressure to marry late husband’s brother
In her ruling on May 11, Ms Lin held that Ms Majekodunmi’s detention had “become prolonged without adequate justification.”

Heading 4
Two die, two injured in Ondo multiple road crashes
The FRSC State Sector Commander, Dr Samuel Ibitoye, confirmed the incident to journalists on Wednesday in Akure.

States
Arise rejects Ekiti North primary election result
Mr Arise appealed to President Bola Tinubu and the APC national chairman to investigate the conduct of the primary election.

Heading 5
Oyo Abduction: Group seeks timely rescue of victims, security in schools nationwide
It also regretted the killing of a mathematics teacher, Michael Oyedokun.

Agriculture
Onion association secures N2 billion support for farmers in four states
The National Onion Producers, Processors and Marketers Association of Nigeria says it facilitated a N1.6 billion input support package for farmers in Sokoto, Kebbi, Borno and Yobe.






