AstraZeneca downgrades vaccine effectiveness to 76% from 79%

AstraZeneca has issued an updated phase three trial data for its COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday, after facing criticism on its accuracy over a preliminary report from its U.S. study, earlier this week.
The UK-based company said in the updated report that the vaccine was 76 per cent effective (down from 79 per cent reported on Monday) in protecting against symptomatic cases of the virus and 100 per cent effective against severe disease and hospitalisation.
The update came after U.S. health officials criticised the company for selecting data to make the results appear more favourable.
The U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases revealed on Tuesday that AstraZeneca might have included outdated information in trial results of its COVID-19 vaccine, potentially casting doubt over published efficacy rates, despite the findings of a large U.S. trial showing that the vaccine is safe and highly effective.
The updated results included data collected from 190 symptomatic cases, across more than 32,000 participants — an increase of roughly 50 symptomatic cases studied compared with the data set AstraZeneca released on Monday.
The findings suggested the vaccine was more effective in patients aged 65 and older than previously understood, with a newly reported efficacy rate of 85 per cent for that population, up from a previously stated 80 per cent.
AstraZeneca confirmed on Wednesday that the vaccine was “well-tolerated” among participants and identified no safety concerns.
Peoples Gazette reported last week that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine rollout was halted in several countries after reports of blood clots in some vaccinated people.
Health experts immediately criticised the precautionary measure in response, citing a lack of data, while analysts expressed concern about the impact on vaccine uptake as the virus continues to spread.
Meanwhile, countries like Germany, France, Italy and Spain, which had initially suspended the vaccine’s rollout, have backtracked.
They took the decision after Europe’s drug regulator said its initial investigation of possible side effects concluded the shot was safe and effective, adding the benefits of administering the vaccine still outweigh the risks.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Abuja
Blocked drainage infrastructure cause of Abuja flash flooding: FG
The ministry said proactive drainage management is necessary to restore hydraulic functionality.

States
2027: Fintiri inaugurates presidential, National Assembly campaigns in Adamawa
Ms Farauta commended President Bola Tinubu’s policies and programmes.

Education
Tinubu orders diversion of recovered looted funds to NELFUND
Mr Alausa commended the president for his magnanimity and dedication to education.

Heading 4
Tinubu appoints Enitan head of civil service, tasks him on reformsÂ
He is currently the permanent secretary in the federal ministry of education.

States
Nasarawa assembly confirms eight commissioner-nomineesÂ
The speaker urged them to live above board if finally sworn in.

States
Gaya emirate emir backs fight against drug abuse
The emir added that the council also introduced drug screening for individuals being considered for appointments within the emirate.






