Friday, August 21, 2026

ESN operational commander eliminated in Imo attack, says army

“Troops recovered four AK-47 Rifles, a Toyota Hiace minibus used as an operational vehicle by the assailants as well as several assorted ammunition and charms.”

• June 6, 2021
Mohammed Yerima
Mohammed Yerima

The Nigerian Army says its troops operating in Owerri foiled an early Sunday morning attack on the Imo state police command, killing six assailants.

The army spokesperson, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, disclosed in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

He said that the troops, assisted by the Police Special Forces, eliminated a top IPOB-ESN operational commander, Joseph Nnachi, alias King of Dragons.

He said that Mr Nnachi had been orchestrating attacks against security agencies and government establishments in the South-Eastern states.

According to him, Mr Nnachi has been at the centre of several heinous attacks since the death of Ikonso, who died during an encounter with security forces on April 24, at Awomama Village of Orlu East Local Government Area of the state.

He added that four other members of the gang were neutralised along with Mr Nnachi, while one was captured alive and has been assisting security forces with useful information.

According to him, troops recovered four AK-47 Rifles, a Toyota Hiace minibus used as an operational vehicle by the assailants as well as several assorted ammunition and charms.

“Recall that IPOB-ESN terrorists attacked the Imo Police Command on April 5, and since then, the security forces have been on the trail of the assailants leading to the successful elimination of the key figures involved.

“The NA wishes to place on record its profound appreciation to the peace-loving citizens of Imo and the entire citizenry for their support towards combating security challenges in the South-East and the rest of the country.

“The Chief of Army Staff, Maj.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, particularly noted this as a patriotic gesture and appealed to the public to do more while assuring them of the army’s resolve to end the reign of terror in the country,” he said.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.