Ondo nurses, midwives withdraw services over poor remuneration

Nurses in Ondo State have declared an indefinite strike from Friday over what they referred to as improper remuneration and poor welfare.
Felix Orobode, the state chairman of the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (NANNM), made this known on Thursday at a news conference in Akure.
Mr Orobode said the strike would be fully implemented in all state-owned health institutions.
According to him, it is unfortunate that the state government has been insensitive to the association’s demands since 2023 despite several engagements.
“These demands include lateral conversion (point to point) for our nurses with first-degree certificates and uniform allowance for nurses, as captured in the public service rule.
“We also demanded payment of arrears of promotion and hazard allowances and a conducive environment in our health facilities with the provision of adequate hospital equipment to work with.
“There was also the proper placement/remuneration of our nurses and midwives.
“Even with numerous rounds of negotiation, unwavering patience, and significant concessions made by our association, the government has refused to honour its commitment.
“Rather, one profession in the health sector was being favoured over others with the adjustment of their salary structure in July 2024,” he said.
The chairman also said the adjustment of the association’s members’ remuneration was marred with irregularities following the announcement of N73,000 as the minimum wage in the state.
“We have since rejected this adjustment. This necessitated another round of negotiations, where a consensus was reached to have another table with implementation from January 2025 salary.
“To our dismay, the January salary was paid with the old salary table, which was never part of our agreement. Based on this unhealthy development, an emergency State Executive Council (SEC) meeting was summoned today.
“After reviewing our activities so far, we concluded that the government has taken us for a ride. We, therefore, resolved to direct all nurses and midwives under the employment of Ondo State to withdraw their services indefinitely with effect from 12:00 a.m. on Friday, January 31.
“This will be the status quo until our demands are met by the government,” he said.
Mr Orobode also said the government’s refusal to honour the association’s demands had left the association with no other option than to “down tools.”
He stated that nurses and midwives could no longer endure the financial and professional neglect that had characterised their relationship with the government.
Mr Orobode, who appealed to all stakeholders and members of the public to understand and support the course of the association, added that the action was in the best interest of the healthcare delivery.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.

Health
FG, ICPC set up task team to tackle corruption in health sector
The permanent secretary described the partnership with ICPC as timely and important.






