Wednesday, August 19, 2026

President Kagame orders Belgian diplomats in Rwanda to leave country within 48 hours

Mr Kagame called the Belgians “shameless” for soliciting foreign sanctions on a nation as small as Rwanda.

• March 17, 2025
Paul Kagame
Paul Kagame

President Paul Kagame has issued a 48-hour ultimatum for all Belgian diplomats to vacate Rwanda over allegations that they were “consistently” undermining and implicating the African nation as the war in eastern Congo rages.

“The government of Rwanda today notified the government of Belgium of its decision to sever diplomatic relations, effective immediately,” a statement by the Rwandan Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said on Monday.

The Monday announcement to sever ties with Belgium came a day after Mr Kagame accused Belgians and other Europeans of soliciting international sanctions against Rwanda, claiming the nation was backing the war in Congo.

“Now, what you see happening every day, the accusations they throw at us, in Kinyarwanda, we call it ‘gukoronga,’ constant insults and attacks. They talk about the war in Congo, first making it Rwanda’s war, and then claiming that Rwanda supports it,” Mr Kagame said.

Mr Kagame called the Belgians “shameless” for soliciting foreign sanctions on a nation as small as Rwanda.

“Belgians go to Kinshasa and point a finger towards Rwanda and say they will impose sanctions on us and also mobilise the world against Rwanda. They are shameless. Mobilising the world against Rwanda, with our small size? They should leave us alone.”

Belgium’s foreign minister, Maxime Prevot, said Rwanda’s vacation order showed Mr Kagame’s unwillingness to engage in any dialogue on diplomatic disagreement.

“Belgium regrets the decision of Rwanda to cut off diplomatic relations with Belgium and to declare Belgium’s diplomats persona non grata,” Mr Prevot wrote on X.

“This is disproportionate and shows that when we disagree with Rwanda, they prefer not to engage in dialogue.”

Germany on March 4 halted financial aid to Rwanda after a UN report said thousands of Rwandan troops were fighting alongside the M23 rebels to stoke chaos and unrest in the ongoing conflict in eastern Congo. The U.S. and UK had also previously pulled the plugs on any aid to Rwanda. 

Mr Kagame’s administration denied the claim, insisting he had no role in the ongoing conflict in eastern Congo.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sudan and South Sudan flags

Africa

Sudan, South Sudan revive security talks after defence minister’s visit

The minister said continued cooperation between Sudan and South Sudan was important to maintaining stability.

Weekend flooding in Abuja

Abuja

Blocked drainage infrastructure cause of Abuja flash flooding: FG

The ministry said proactive drainage management is necessary to restore hydraulic functionality.

Adamawa State Governor, Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri

States

2027: Fintiri inaugurates presidential, National Assembly campaigns in Adamawa

Ms Farauta commended President Bola Tinubu’s policies and programmes.

Tinubu and NELFUND logo.

Education

Tinubu orders diversion of recovered looted funds to NELFUND

Mr Alausa commended the president for his magnanimity and dedication to education.

Abel Enitan

Heading 4

Tinubu appoints Enitan head of civil service, tasks him on reforms 

He is currently the permanent secretary in the federal ministry of education.

Nasarawa House of Assembly

States

Nasarawa assembly confirms eight commissioner-nominees 

The speaker urged them to live above board if finally sworn in.