Officers deployed to PDP secretariat to prevent ‘fighting’ members from ‘breaking things’: Police

The FCT Police Command has denied blocking the Peoples Democratic Party from holding its NEC meeting or sealing the building at Wuse Zone 5, Abuja.
It was gathered earlier on Monday that police officers took over the party headquarters and prevented the Board of Trustees from holding a meeting ahead of the 100th National Executive Committee meeting, scheduled for later in the day.
However, Josephine Adeh, the FCT police spokesperson, told Peoples Gazette over the telephone that operatives were deployed to the premises to secure the event and prevent a breakdown of law and order.
“We did our normal deployment because there was supposed to be a meeting there to ensure that they maintain peace. We did not block anybody or anything.
“They were the ones having their issues there. We were just there to ensure they didn’t break things. Those PDP people locked that place by themselves,” Ms Adeh said.
Ms Adeh said the operatives only intervened when members of the party, already in crisis, started fighting among themselves before the party relocated the meeting to another location.
“When we got there, they started fighting, but when they started fighting themselves, of course, you don’t expect police to stand and watch people fighting and injuring themselves.
“How do we have the key to lock that place? They are the ones having disputes within themselves, and when they did, at the end of the day, I think they left to another location.”
Former PDP secretary Ibrahim Tsauri had told journalists at the secretariat that the officers claimed to have shut down the building following “an order from above.”
“The policeman told me, ‘There is an order from above to stop the meeting.’ This meeting is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. I came here for the meeting, so for me, I can only brief you on the politics. Since they have stopped the BoT, I do not know if they can hold the NEC,” Mr Tsauri said.
Also, Bode George, a BoT member, in an interview with journalists, said members were informed that the meeting could not hold at the party secretariat.
”We spoke to some of the policemen who said that, actually, it is to maintain law and order because of the conflicting notices that emerged yesterday, and also that they got an order from above,” he said.
Meanwhile, a statement later in the day said the party moved the BoT meeting to the Yar’Adua Centre, Central Business District, Abuja, and urged BoT members to proceed to the new venue.
Crisis in the party worsened after its National Working Committee split into two factions, with the one led by Deputy National Chairman South, Taofeak Arapaja, insisting on the NEC meeting holding today, while the other, led by the acting national chairman, Umar Damagum, calling for a “Special Expanded National Caucus Meeting”.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

World
Australian Tennis star Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive for cocaine
Mr Kyrgios said, “I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”

Hot news Home top
Beware of fertility treatment, surrogacy, ‘miracle baby’ scams in Nigeria, UK warns citizens
“If you’re considering fertility treatment in Nigeria, exercise caution,” it said.

Uncategorized
Osun: INEC presents certificate of return to Gov. Adeleke, deputy
The governor called on those who contested the election against him to join him in moving the state forward.

Heading 2
Over 500 Nigerians offered to cure Ogogo of cancer spiritually, says Jide Kosoko
Mr Kosoko urged fans to continue to pray for the actor’s healing.

Heading 4
Family expresses ‘heartfelt thanks’ as GoFundMe for Cambridge’s youngest Black professor’s funeral hits over £200,000
The family stated, “We have been touched by the messages of love, condolences and acts of kindness during what is a deeply painful time for our family.”

Diaspora
South African court adjourns ruling in ex-Miss Universe Nigeria Chidimma Adetshina deportation case until 2027
“We should not allow zenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should always be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” Miss Adetshina stated.






