Suspected herdsmen raid Benue community, kill 17 villagers

About 17 residents of Mbalom community in the Gwer-East Local Government Area of Benue State were killed on Saturday during an attack by suspected killer herdsmen.
The spokesperson for Benue State Governor, Tersoo Kula, confirmed the attack to the Peoples Gazette in a phone interview on Sunday but said casualty figure was unknown.
Mr Kula said, “There was an attack at Mbalom in the Gwer West Local Government Area. But as for the number of casualties, the police said they were still combing the bush. The police also told me they were going after the attackers. We have issued a statement condemning the attack.”
The state police spokesperson, Udeme Edet, did not respond to calls made to her mobile seeking details about the attack and the casualty figure.
However, a resident who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of attack told The Gazette that the community counted 17 corpses.
The resident said, “So far, 17 dead bodies have been identified.”
Some photos from the incident scene show bodies stacked in a white Hilux van, some were on the ground including burnt houses.
The state government in a statement said, “Governor Hyacinth Alia strongly condemns the heinous attack carried out by suspected armed herdsmen on the peace-loving people of Mbalom in the Gwer-East Local Government Area.
“The governor describes the barbaric act as unacceptable, and a direct affront to the collective peace and security of the state. He expresses deep sympathy to families affected by the attack and assures them that the government stands firmly with them in this difficult time.”
The statement added that Mr Alia noted with grave concern the pattern of what appeared to be calculated and selective attacks in parts of the state.
It stated that the governor noted that such acts of terror, though increasingly hydra-headed in nature, would not be allowed to thrive.
The statement stated, “He reiterates his unwavering resolve to confront and subdue all forms of criminality threatening the safety of Benue communities.
“The governor commends security agencies, particularly the Nigeria Police Force, for their swift response and ongoing efforts, noting their assurance that they are on the heels of the perpetrators and will ensure their arrest and prosecution.”
Bandits also attacked an ECWA church in Kaduna State during a church service, but troops rescued 31 of the victims.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
FFS saves N400 million property in Kano market fire
The controller urged the public to ensure that solar installations were carried out by qualified personnel.

States
Kogi police boss urges youths to reject political violence, digital thuggery
The commissioner described youths as critical partners in building a safer society.

NationWide
Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu: Tinubu’s campaign council rehab for fraud-tainted politicians, ADC says
The ADC argued that the 2027 election will be a referendum on Mr Tinubu’s record.

NationWide
Matawalle hails Yari’s appointment as Tinubu campaign council DG
He expressed confidence in their ability to deliver Mr Tinubu and the APC in the forthcoming elections.

States
Troops kill one IPOB member in Anambra, recover explosive devices
Troops raided IPOB and ESN stronghold in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State and killed one of their members.

Sport
Beach Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics
The Nigerian women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympic Games event for the first time in history after defeating Morocco 2-0 in the 2026 CAVB final on Saturday.






