Youths protest against killings, abductions in Kwara community

Some youths in the Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State have protested against the killings and abductions of women and children in the community.
The Peoples Gazette gathered that the protest held on Tuesday saw the youth march to the council secretariat to demand urgent action on the 176 women and children reportedly in Boko Haram’s captivity.
One of the protesters, Abdulmim Mohammed, who spoke to The Gazette, expressed worry over the victims’ situation in captivity.
“We are protesting because of insecurity and our families were kidnapped for almost three months now. There is no news about them and the families are worried,” Mr Mohammed told The Gazette.
He noted that the Nuku and Kemanji communities were attacked, adding that the situation persisted without any action from the authorities.
“The protest was triggered because of the killing in our community. Our people are dying and there is no solution. Our farmers can’t go to their farms any longer. Our peace has been taken away from us,” he stated.
Another protester, Nasir Labeeb, told The Gazette that since the launch of Operation Savanah Shield, the troops were yet to be deployed to the area.
“We are protesting because we are not happy about increased attacks in our local government. In every aspect, the state government last week launched Operation Savannah Shield but there is nothing like that in Kaiama,” he noted.
He added, “Over 300 people were kidnapped in Woro and nothing was done. Again, 176 people are still in captivity and nothing has been done. We have seen clips of the kidnap victims in Woro and their abductors are demanding ransoms.”
The spokesman for the Kwara State governor, Rafiu Ajakaye, declined calls made to his mobile and had also yet to reply to a text message sent as of the time this report was filed.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
Eid-ul-Mawlid: FG declares Tuesday public holiday
Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, said the period should also serve as a time for collective prayer for the country’s peace and cohesion.

States
Minister recruits 200 volunteer teachers to provide extra classes for SSCE, JAMB students in Katsina
The initiative would initially cover Malumfashi, Funtua, Dutsinma, Kankia, Katsina, Mani, and Daura local government areas, with plans to expand it to all 34 LGAs in the state.

States
Work to resume soon on Bida-Lambata road, says FG
The federal government said work on the Bida-Lapai-Lambata road project in Niger would resume soon.

Africa
Central African Republic closes gold mine after collapse kills 49
Mines Minister Rufin Beltoungou said 35 Central Africans, 12 Cameroonians and two Chadians died in the gold mine collapse.

NationWide
Shettima seeks holistic approach to tackle humanitarian crises
Mr Shettima called for a holistic approach to tackle humanitarian crises and ensure durable solutions.

Politics
ISIS would have taken over Nigeria if not for Tinubu, presidency spokesman says
“Were it not for the various interventions of Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Nigeria would have become a sorry state security-wise,” the presidential aide said.






