Friday, August 21, 2026

FG to close Eko Bridge over structural pile damage

The move followed a recent joint inspection, which revealed significant damage to eight piles.

• May 5, 2026
Eko Bridge
Eko Bridge

The Federal Government may shut down a carriageway on the Eko Bridge in Lagos State following damage to about eight of its piles. 

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olufemi Dare, disclosed this in Lagos on Tuesday.

He said that the closure would be subject to approval by the Minister of Works,  Senator Dave Umahi.

He said: “If he agrees with our recommendations, a carriageway of the bridge may be completely shut to traffic.”

Mr Dare said that the move followed a recent joint inspection of the bridge by consultants, contractors and officials of the Federal Ministry of Works, which revealed that about eight piles on the bridge had been badly damaged.

He said the damage to the piles posed a significant risk to bridge users.

Mr Dare attributed the damage largely to the activities of miners and scavengers, saying that some of the piles had lost their concrete cover, leaving only the reinforcement exposed.

He said that the minister of works would visit Lagos for a further assessment of the bridge and to take a final decision on the recommendations.

On Carter Bridge, Mr Dare said the structure had exceeded its serviceability lifespan and had been declared irredeemable.

He confirmed that Carter Bridge would be demolished and reconstructed.

“It has been in the public domain that the Carter Bridge will be demolished.

“It has exceeded its serviceability limit and cannot be redeemed. A new bridge will be constructed,” he said.

He said that a rigorous bidding process involving major construction firms had been concluded on the reconstruction, with China Civil Engineering Construction Company emerging as the preferred contractor.

According to him, the minister will officially hand over the project to the contractor during his visit.

Mr Dare also said that the minister would inspect the Marine Bridge, where some defects were recently observed despite ongoing construction work, to determine the necessary interventions.

He said the minister would also assess the implementation of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway project.

“Section One of the coastal highway has reached about 98 per cent completion. Motorists can now travel about 47km from Ahmadu Bello Way to Eleko on concrete pavement,” he said.

Mr Dare said that the minister’s visit would provide an opportunity to take critical decisions on the projects to enhance safety and improve infrastructure delivery in Lagos State.

 (NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.