Friday, August 21, 2026

Governor Makinde wrong calling schoolchildren’s kidnappers terrorists; no insurgents in South-West: DHQ

The DHQ claimed the beheading of a teacher and kidnapping of pupils were “an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure”.

• May 20, 2026
Seyi Makinde
Seyi Makinde

Terrorists do not have a foothold in the South-West and residents should go about their daily business without fear of being attacked by insurgents, says the Defence Headquarters.

Governor Seyi Makinde announced this at a press briefing on Sunday that terrorists invaded a school in Oyo state and kidnapped pupils and teachers.

Mr Makinde said, “After the incident, the amotekun, police, military, hunters and non-state actors were mobilised to go after the terrorists. It was along that line that they ran into improvised explosives,” the governor said. Some of the Amotekun operatives were wounded. The government will continue to take responsibility and ensure that they fully recover and look after their medical bills.”

“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward. But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points.”

The DHQ in a statement on Tuesday said there were no terrorists in the South-West and urged the public to ignore the governor and others claiming the presence of insurgents in the region.

“The entire nation over the deeply painful and unconscionable attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School, all in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to categorically address recent media reports and public speculation suggesting that terrorist elements have established a permanent operational base within the South-West geo-political zone of Nigeria, particularly following the attack in Oyo State.

“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park (OONP), effectively neutralizing the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor. Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South-West region,” said the DHQ.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Police officers

Lagos

Lagos police nab six over viral video of miscreants harassing motorists

Ms Adebisi said the command was already aware of the activities of the miscreants. 

Corps members

Heading 3

NYSC DG urges corps members to remain politically neutral, obey scheme rules

According to him, adherence to the core values of the scheme remains non-negotiable.

African Democratic Party (ADC)

States

ADC cautions Jigawa government against unregulated mining

He warned that inadequate mining regulations could provide opportunities for bandits. 

Brandon Hudspeth, Ifeanyi Ossai and others signed a document of cooperation at the National Museum, Onikan.

States

Enugu receives $125,000 U.S. grant for preservation of Lejja Iron-Smelting site

Mr Hudspeth said the grant is aimed at transforming and providing digital documentation of the site. 

President Bola Tinubu and Governor Ademola Adeleke

States

Tinubu urges Adeleke to promote unity, reconciliation in Osun

The president urged Mr Adeleke to focus on governance and improving the welfare of Osun residents. 

The FCT Minister of State, Dr Mahmoud Mariya

Abuja

Mahmoud calls on churches, mosques to promote peace ahead of 2027 elections

Ms Mahmoud urged citizens to continue supporting and praying for Mr Tinubu.