U.S. sanctions rebel commanders in Eastern DR Congo

The U.S. government has slammed fresh sanctions on senior commanders of rebel groups linked to deadly attacks in the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The Rwanda-backed March 23 Movement (M23) rebel group has viciously competed for territory with DRC military and its reported allied forces such as the Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR). The conflict has left thousands dead and many displaced, triggering one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
The Trump administration on Tuesday imposed sanctions on FDLR’s John Imani Nzenze and Gustave Kubwayo of the M23 rebel force who it said were behind violent attacks threatening regional security.
“We are designating Gustave Kubwayo, commander of an FDLR intelligence and special operations unit,” a statement by the U.S. authorities said on Tuesday. “The FDLR has carried out ethnic violence against civilians, used child soldiers, committed sexual violence, and launched cross-border attacks that continue to threaten Rwanda’s security.”
The same sanction applied to Mr Nzenze, a senior intelligence M23 chief over alleged killings and human rights violations.
“We are also designating John Imani Nzenze, chief of intelligence for the Rwanda-backed M23, an armed group that has committed killings, serious human rights abuses, and attacks on civilians in eastern DRC,” the statement added.
The Washington Accords for Peace and Prosperity signed by both countries in December 2025 had yet to halt the fighting but the U.S. appeared intent on holding all parties accountable to the agreement.
“The Trump Administration is firmly committed to ensuring all parties uphold their commitments under the historic Washington Accords for Peace and Prosperity and Doha Framework and will continue using all available tools to advance lasting stability in the region,” the statement added.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
Nigerian businesses offered platform to fight AI-driven cybercrime
Digital Encode, a Nigerian cybersecurity company, says it has deployed an AI platform to help organisations fight increasingly sophisticated cybercrime.

States
Kano assembly seeks modernisation of Murtala library to boost reading culture
The Kano State House of Assembly has urged the state government to urgently undertake a total overhaul and facelift of the state-owned library.

States
APM wins Bauchi local govt elections
Some opposition parties boycotted the elections, alleging that the exercise contravened the 2026 Bauchi State Electoral Act.

Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.






