Saturday, August 22, 2026

​‌⁠​‍‍⁠NEPA/PHCN retirees protest against non-payment of pension arrears, entitlements

Mr Dunmoye said the pensioners repeatedly engaged relevant authorities over the issues but had yet to get a satisfactory resolution.

• August 22, 2026

Some National Electric Power Authority (NEPA)/Power Holding Company of Nigeria pensioners on Friday held a peaceful protest at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos, demanding payment of pension arrears and other entitlements.

The pensioners carried out the protest under the aegis of Concerned NEPA/PHCN Pensioners.

They said they had been denied various benefits accruing to them from their years of service, and called on the Federal Government to intervene.

Their Lead Coordinator, Murtala Dunmoye, said that some  of their members who retired in 2000 had their terminal emoluments calculated with a  42 per cent shortfall, which, he said, affected their pensions and gratuities.

Mr Dunmoye said the group was also demanding payment of outstanding arrears arising from  harmonisation of pensions, monetisation and other entitlements.

He said that only about 3,000 pensioners received monetisation payments out of more than 4,000 who were qualified.

According to him, some pensioners who retired before 2003 have yet to receive outstanding payments relating to harmonisation of their benefits.

Mr Dunmoye said the pensioners repeatedly engaged relevant authorities over the issues but had yet to get a satisfactory resolution.

He appealed to the Federal Government to intervene and ensure that the outstanding entitlements would be paid to the affected pensioners.

Another pensioner, Julius Ayodeji, said that some pensioners were informed that funds had been released to the Pension Transitional Arrangement Directorate (PTAD) for payment of accrued arrears.

Mr Ayodeji said the pensioners were informed that payments would commence in June and run up to December.

He, however, said that amounts received by some pensioners did not correspond with their expectations.

Mr Ayodeji, who retired as a manager in 2000, said he received less than one million naira, while some of his juniors who retired around the same period received higher amounts.

He said he had written to PTAD concerning the situation but had yet to receive a response.

The pensioners urged the Federal Government to look into their claims and ensure payment of appropriate entitlements due to them.

However, a source at PTAD, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the protesters were not affiliated with any of the recognised unions representing electricity-sector workers and pensioners.

The source said the group was not an officially-recognised union but its claims would be presented to the appropriate authorities on Monday.

The source said that his comments did not constitute an official response from PTAD.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide

Defence minister, gender advocates, others seek women inclusion in governance

The minister stressed the need for women to contribute their quota to tackle complex security challenges within the country.

The colleagues at the session.

Heading 1

Ogogo: Colleagues hold prayer session for ailing Nollywood actor

He prayed God Almighty to give Mr Hassan’s family, friends, and colleagues the strength to stand by the actor.

Bola Tinubu and FBI

World

U.S. court sets one-month timeline for FBI to explain why Tinubu criminal records should stay secret

The judge requested the agency to file its final response on September 18, 2026.