Terrorists storm Niger mosque during prayers, abduct worshippers

The police command in Niger State has said bandits abducted worshippers at a mosque in Dekara District in the Borgu Local Government Area of the state on Friday.
The command’s spokesperson, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said on Saturday that the incident occurred at about 2:00 p.m. when the victims were observing Jumaat prayer.
He said the exact number of those kidnapped was yet to be ascertained.
According to him, the terrorists first attacked Gidan-Zana and Kpenya villages before moving to the mosque, where unspecified number of worshipers were kidnapped.
He said no life was lost, adding that joint security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.
Mr Abiodun said, “On 21/8/2026 at about 4 p.m., report received indicated that on same date at about 2 p.m., suspected terrorists invaded Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village via Dekara District Borgu, and Kpenya Mosque and abducted unspecified number of persons during prayers, while others escaped into the nearby forest.
“However, the developing report indicated that no life was lost, while joint security detachment had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations. Further development will be made public.”
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
Five die in Badagry road crash
Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Heading 1
Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members
The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

World
U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails
The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Heading 2
Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman
Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

Heading 4
Turkey issues request to law enforcement agencies worldwide to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
The minister of justice said the Israeli leaders were being tried in absentia.

NationWide
EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay
One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.






