Court sets up task force for disposal of pre-election cases

The Federal High Court of Nigeria has constituted a special task force of judges to hear and determine all pre-election cases swiftly.
The court disclosed this in a statement by its spokesperson, Catherine Oby-Christopher, on Wednesday in Abuja.
According to Ms Oby-Christopher, a circular letter issued by Chief Judge John Tsoho says it became necessary to designate a team of judges following the large volume of pre-election suits that have flooded the court.
“Judges who are members of the task force will suspend all regular cases in their respective courts due to the urgency of the electoral cases, which are time-bound,” stated the circular.
It added, “In view of the large volume of pre-election cases filed so far with the imminent attendant risk of lapsing, it has become necessary to constitute a task force to speedily dispose of the matters, particularly in those judicial divisions with a glut of them.”
Mr Tsoho mentioned that the judges would have four weeks to dispose of the pre-election cases.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Troops kill one IPOB member in Anambra, recover explosive devices
Troops raided IPOB and ESN stronghold in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State and killed one of their members.

Sport
Beach Volleyball: Nigeria beat Morocco, qualify for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics
The Nigerian women’s beach volleyball team qualified for the Olympic Games event for the first time in history after defeating Morocco 2-0 in the 2026 CAVB final on Saturday.

Agriculture
Ekiti LG distributes improved cocoa seedlings to farmers
The chairman of Ikole Local Government Area, Bayo Omojola, said the seedlings would boost earnings and improve farmers’ livelihoods.

Economy
PENGASSAN elects Bosun Olabiyi-Agoro as national president
Mr Olabiyi-Agoro succeeds Festus Osifo, who served as the association’s national president for six years.

States
Fire guts Calabar mall
The inferno reportedly started around 7:00 a.m. in a section of the mall before spreading rapidly and growing into a huge fire.

Politics
2027: Shun thuggery, promote peace, Plateau CP tells youths
Mr Faniyan said youths remain central to democracy and national development.






