Monday, August 17, 2026

Ex-Comoros President Sambi gets life sentence for $1.8 billion passport racketeering

“They (Mr Sambi and his group) gave thugs the right to sell Comorian nationality as if they were selling peanuts.” 

• November 29, 2022
AHMED MOHAMMED SAMBI
Ahmed Mohamed Sambi

Former president of the Union of Comoros, Ahmed Mohamed Sambi, was sentenced to life imprisonment by the Comoros Security Court on Monday after he was found guilty of treason. 

Mr Sambi, 64, has been detained in his home since 2018 for disrupting public order. 

He was charged with corruption and embezzlement before being exposed for directing a high-level Comoros passport racketeering scam in which he acquired up to $1.8 billion in unlawful money.

The case was jointly brought against Mr Sambi by state authorities and private citizens. 

“They (Mr Sambi and his group) gave thugs the right to sell Comorian nationality as if they were selling peanuts,” said Emmanuel Sossa, a lawyer for the citizens. 

Mr Sambi did not attend the trial claiming he would not get a fair trial in the military court. 

His lawyer, Jan Fermon, called the court’s ruling illegal and unconstitutional. 

“The case should have been stopped. If the case went on, at least it should have been brought before a regular court established according to the law, which was not the case,” said Mr Fermon. “If it was brought before a regular court established according to the law, it’s obvious for me President Sambi should be acquitted because there is not a piece of evidence.”

He said the matter would be taken to the “international scene,” noting that “there is no other choice than to take this out of Comoros and try to get it to the international attention for this case with UN bodies in Geneva with the French justice system, to which we will submit the question of this attempt by a false witness statement… because there is no possibility to appeal the decision under Comorian law.” 

The Comoros security court is a military court in the East African nation whose ruling and decisions cannot be appealed. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Troops with rescued victims

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

States

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Makinde congratulates Adeleke

Politics

Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections

The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

Lagos

Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates

The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

Fubara speaking with Wike

States

Wike-sanctioned Rainbow coalition pledges inclusive Rivers reconciliation

The reconciliation efforts aim to restore political harmony among stakeholders while fostering unity, progress and development across Rivers.

Anti-Corruption

Looted Wealth: Nigerians who forfeited assets to FG (1)

The asset forfeiture followed court rulings after the country’s anti-corruption agencies, especially the EFCC, pressed charges against them after investigations.