Friday, August 21, 2026

January 31 Deadline: Customers throng banks, decry limited access to new banknotes

It was gathered that only few of the 21 council headquarters in Kebbi and their adjoining villages have a bank presence.

• January 24, 2023
Crowd at a bank used to illustrate the story
Crowd at a bank used to illustrate the story

On Monday, some customers in Birnin Kebbi thronged banks to either deposit or receive money and expressed concern over limited access to new Naira notes.

Checks on different banks in Birnin Kebbirevealed that customers in their large numbers were sighted at different banks trying to gain access to the banks or access to automated teller machines (ATMs).

In an interview at UBA in Birnin Kebbi, Musa Gero from Kukaru, Gulma in the Argungu council area of Kebbi said he had been in the queue since 6:00 a.m. but had yet to get access to the bank.

“I have been here for over five hours waiting in the queue to deposit my money. As I am talking to you, I am number 260 because the bank officials have written our names and issued numbers to all of us, so we are still waiting,” he said.

He appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime to consider the plights of Nigerians and extend the time to a certain period to accommodate all, or else many people would be counting losses even before the expiry of the period.

Also, in an interview at First Bank premises, Muktar Sambo from Zogirma village, Bunza council area, lamented that in the whole of the area, they did not have a single bank to do any transaction.

“We travel all the way from Bunza to come here and deposit our money since we do not have anywhere to keep our money. The timing is so short because they said on the 31st of this month, we came here to withdraw N100,000, but they said a person could only withdraw N40,000 at the ATM machines,” Mr Sambo explained.

He added, “What kind of wickedness is this? Somebody with his own money cannot withdraw N100,000 as stipulated by the apex bank. We are appealing to the government to rescind its decision by extending the period to enable Nigerians to enjoy their hard-earned wealth.”

Ibrahim Hassan, from Birnin Kebbi local government area, said he had been in the queue at GTB since 7:00 a.m. to deposit his money to beat the January 31 deadline.

“I am one of those who came first to the bank to deposit money, I have been here before 7:00 a.m., but my greatest surprise is that I still have more than 100 people in the front of the queue,” he said.

Mr Hassan decried the non-availability of the new Naira notes in circulation in the state and called on the government to review its policy or extend the deadline.

“Even in the bank now, if you want to withdraw money, they still give you old Naira notes. This is to tell you that even the bank is in short supply of the new naira notes. I am appealing to CBN to review its policy or extend the deadline by some months for people to have their money changed or deposited in banks,” he added.

It was gathered that only few of the 21 council headquarters in Kebbi and their adjoining villages have a bank presence.

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide

EFCC withdraws cybercrime charges against Bayero University student Maryam Shehu, another individual

The anti-graft agency said its chairman Ola Olukoyede ordered the withdrawal of the charges on compassionate grounds.

Anti-Corruption

Man arraigned over alleged N40 million visa fraud

The magistrate adjourned the case until October 26 for mention.

World

ICC president Akane warns of ‘demise of rule of law’ after Trump sanctions

ICC president Tomoko Akane warned of the demise of the rule of law after the U.S. sanctioned her and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye.

Muslims praying inside mosque

NationWide

Eid-ul-Mawlid: FG declares Tuesday public holiday

Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, said the period should also serve as a time for collective prayer for the country’s peace and cohesion.

Image used to illustrate the story

States

Minister recruits 200 volunteer teachers to provide extra classes for SSCE, UTME candidates in Katsina

The initiative would initially cover Malumfashi, Funtua, Dutsinma, Kankia, Katsina, Mani, and Daura local government areas, with plans to expand it to all 34 LGAs in the state.

States

Work to resume soon on Bida-Lambata road, says FG

The federal government said work on the Bida-Lapai-Lambata road project in Niger would resume soon.