Saturday, August 22, 2026

‘Not Like Us’: Court dismisses Drake’s lawsuit against Kendrick Lamar’s diss track

In the song, Lamar, 38, called Drake and his associate “certified paedophiles.”

• October 10, 2025
Drake, Kendrick Lamar
Drake, Kendrick Lamar(Photo credit:Rolling Stone)

A U.S. federal judge in New York has dismissed Canadian rapper Drake’s defamation lawsuit against his own record label, Universal Music Group, over label mate Kendrick Lamar’s 2024 diss track, “Not Like Us.”,

The “Hotline Bling” singer, who filed a lawsuit against Universal Music Group in January, accused the label of betraying him in favour of profits by promoting the song, which features punchlines that accuse him of paedophilia.

In the song, Lamar, 38, called Drake and his associate “certified paedophiles.”

‎He said, “Say, Drake, I hear you like ’em young. You better not ever go to cell block one…to any bitch that talks to him and they in love, just make sure you hide your lil sister from him.”

But Judge Jeanette Vargas, who presided over the case on Thursday, ruled that the Canadian rapper’s lawsuit against the music company concerning the diss track amounted to a “non-actionable opinion.”

‎Ms Vargas said, “The issue in this case is whether ‘Not Like Us’ can reasonably be understood to convey as a factual matter that Drake is a paedophile or that he has engaged in sexual relations with minors. In light of the overall context in which the statements in the recording were made, the court holds that it cannot.”

Lamar and Drake traded “blows” in a word fight last year through their music, with both parties calling each other out in a series of recorded tapes. Lamar dealt the more severe blow with “Not Like Us.”

The hit track has garnered over 400 million views on YouTube since its release and was a headliner at Lamar’s Super Bowl halftime show, which was viewed live on television by a record figure of over 130 million people.

‎‎‎‎In a statement after the ruling, Universal Music Group called Drake’s lawsuit “an affront to all artistes and their creative expression and never should have seen the light of day.”

‎”We’re pleased with the court’s dismissal and look forward to continuing our work successfully promoting Drake’s music and investing in his career,” the music label added.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.