Monday, August 17, 2026

Ondo election tribunal begins sitting

During the pre-trial conference, all the counsels to the parties had agreed to call 149 witnesses before the tribunal.

• January 31, 2025
The Ekiti Election Petitions Tribunal
Election Petitions Tribunal

The Ondo State Election Petitions Tribunal held its inaugural sitting on Friday at the Akure Division of the State High Court to adjudicate the outcome of the November 16, 2024, gubernatorial poll.

Opposition parties, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the Social Democratic Party (SDP), and the African Democratic Congress (ADC), filed petitions against the poll’s outcome, which produced Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa.

They also joined the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the suit.

PDP governorship candidate Agboola Ajayi had, through his counsel, Ishaka Dikko (SAN), filed the petition challenging the victory of Mr Aiyedatiwa.

Other petitioners, both the SDP and the ADC, are asking the Justice Benson Ogubu-led tribunal to upturn the governorship election, saying the results did not reflect the electorate’s wish.

They argued through their counsels, Mr Dikko and Bankole Akomolafe (SAN), that Mr Aiyedatiwa and his deputy, Olaide Adelami, were not qualified to participate in the election.

However, the respondents, in their replies, said the issue of qualifications had been determined at the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal. They asked the tribunal to dismiss the petitions.

During the pre-trial conference, all the counsels to the parties had agreed to call 149 witnesses before the tribunal.

The PDP has 43 witnesses, INEC 19, and Mr Aiyedatiwa 32, while the APC and Mr Adelami would call 20 and 35 witnesses, respectively.

Earlier, the tribunal chairman, Mr Ogbu, sought the cooperation of the petitioners and the respondents at the trial and promised a fair hearing and justice.

The tribunal has adjourned to February 10, 2025, for further proceedings.

Meanwhile, Mr Aiyedatiwa has again expressed confidence in winning at the tribunal.

The governor, who attended the inaugural sitting of the tribunal alongside his deputy, Mr Adelami, said, “The election was free, fair, and credible. The people of Ondo State made history by ensuring that, for the first time, a candidate won in all 18 local government areas. That alone speaks volumes about the trust and confidence they have in my leadership.”

He explained that he decided to witness the trial as a governor and hear the opposition parties’ arguments.

“Having the legal professionals and the very competent justices on this panel, it’s an exercise for me. I just want to witness it and be part of it. There’s nothing to worry about,” Mr Aiyedatiwa said.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2

FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries 

Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village

States

Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara 

The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Peter Obi

Heading 5

Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun

The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence. 

Trademore flooding

Abuja

Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas

According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system. 

Awoniyi in Conventy City shirt 

Sport

Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi  from Nottingham Forest 

In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.Â