Tech giants sabotaging fight against cybercrime: Police

Uche Ifeanyi Henry, the director of the Nigeria Police Force Cybercrime Unit, has identified the failure of tech giants to share crucial information with law enforcement agencies as an obstacle to curbing cybercrimes.
Mr Henry spoke at a workshop on improving women and children’s online safety. The event was organised by TechSocietal, a non-profit organisation, on Tuesday.
Mr Henry, who said Nigeria was second on the list of countries with the highest romance scam and sextortion, attributed this to technological advancement and partly unemployment.
Citing various cybercrime cases, Mr Henry said it was sad that victims failed to report because they believe “they have seen the worst.”
He maintained that it would be difficult to address some of the cases due to end-to-end encryption of messages and tech giants’ failure to share data with third parties when the information is needed for an investigation.
However, Sylvia Musalagani, Head of Safety Africa, Middle and Turkey at Meta, emphasised in her presentation that the company’s policies prohibited sharing user data even though they understood its significance.
“We are not allowed to share user data,” said Ms Musalagani. We cannot even share it with law enforcement agents. We are governed by privacy laws that we have to respect.”
According to Ms Musalagani, the tech giant hired over 35,000 personnel worldwide, including law enforcement officers, forensic investigators, and child protection specialists, to ensure that women and children were safe online.
She disclosed that after Meta noticed that taking down posts on their platforms was insufficient to address the online violence, the company created tools to increase women’s safety, where they can report various cases of harassment.
In her presentation, Tope Ogundipe, the executive director of TechSocietal, lamented the increased incidence of online violence against women and children and said that the number of reports to law enforcement agencies had been at an all-time low.
She stressed that women and children have, over time, been exposed to online violence ranging from non-consensual image-based abuse, sextortion, rape threats and cyberstalking.
According to Ms Ogundipe, a 2020 report showed that 90 per cent of Nigerian children aged four to 16 were exposed to cyber risks, many of which men committed.
The workshop was convened in partnership with Meta and funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office through its Digital Access Programme in Nigeria.
Representatives from civil society organisations and the Nigerian Police Force, women’s rights activists, journalists, and children’s rights advocates attended the workshop.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
LAWMA battles persistent illegal waste dumping as Lagos residents turn to cart pushers
The Lagos Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Tokunbo Wahab, said LAWMA clears 3,000 black spots across 57 routes every day.

States
Stop blame game, rebuild for 2027, party chieftain tells Osun APC
Mr Oyintiloye urged the party to undertake a comprehensive and honest assessment of its performance and use the outcome to turn defeat into victory in 2027.

States
Mother, three children die in Yobe fire incidentÂ
The statement said that surviving household members were left homeless and in profound distress.

Heading 1
Troops ‌killed 40 terrorists, foiled attacks, recovered weapons nationwide in one day: ArmyÂ
The report said the successes were recorded between August 21 and August 22.

Sport
Gov. Aiyedatiwa appoints chairman for Ondo sports council
The governor said the appointments were part of efforts to reposition sports development in the state.

NationWide
NCC @37: Commission honours five former DGs, 12 retired directors
Mr Ekpo said Mr Obasanjo provided free land that enabled the commission to carry out an expansion programme.






