Wanted Yahaya Bello asks court to dismiss EFCC’s arrest warrant

On Tuesday, former Governor Yahaya Bello asked the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court to vacate the arrest warrant order issued to the EFCC against him on April 17.
Mr Bello, through his lawyer Adeola Adedipe, made the application following an order by Justice Emeka Nwite, directing the EFCC to effect the service of the charge and proof of evidence on the ex-governor’s lead counsel, Abdulwahab Mohammed.
In a ruling today, the judge had earlier ordered the EFCC’s lawyer, Kemi Pinheiro, to serve Mr Mohammed, Mr Bello’s leading counsel, with bundles of the charge and the proof of evidence.
The judge, who relied on provisions of Section 382(4) and (5) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), held that Mr Mohammed, who announced an unconditional appearance for the defendant, should receive the charge.
However, shortly after the ruling, Mr Adedipe argued that the arrest warrant order, having been made before the charge ought to be set aside suo motu (on its own accord, without any request by the parties involved).
The lawyer argued that contrary to Mr Pinheiro’s submission that the ex-governor must be in court first before any application could be entertained being a criminal case, he said the anti-graft agency also made an application on April 18 after the warrant arrest was issued to EFCC on April 17 and that the court granted it.
According to him, the complainant made an application for substituted service on April 18 after the arrest warrant had been issued on April 17 and on April 23, the judge granted it.
“The court must satisfy itself that the defendant (Mr Bello) will not be prejudiced in fairness if the warrant of arrest continues to hang on his neck, having been made before service of the charge contrary to Section 394 of ACJA,” Mr Adedipe argued.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Nigerian man arrested for multimillion-naira visa fraud, risks years in jail
A 53-year-old man, Babalola Waheed, was arraigned on Friday on charges of multimillion-naira visa fraud.

Politics
Nigerians will re-elect Tinubu in 2027 based on his records: APC Chieftain
Ishaku Yamawo, APC chairman in the Federal Capital Territory, says Nigerians will re-elect President Bola Tinubu in 2027 based on his administration’s recorded achievements.

Politics
Adeleke thanks supporters, pays tributes to Osun election violence victims
Governor Ademola Adeleke has thanked the Accord Party and supporters for his re-election in Saturday’s governorship poll in Osun.

Economy
Fuel Subsidy: Atiku’s proposal is for subsidising local oil production, aide says
“(The former vice-president) said he will subsidise Nigerian fuel production, not imported fuel—capped, audited and transparent,” his aide clarified.

Politics
‘I won, beat you guys,’ Davido teases Wike over Osun poll victory
In the short clip, the singer said, “I won, beat you guys,” as Mr Wike responded, disputing the claim, saying, “No, no.”

NationWide
The face of Nigeria’s first naira trillionaire, his net worth, businesses
His multinational conglomerate was estimated at $35.2 billion (₦47.45 trillion based on ₦1,348 to $1). This makes him the 66th richest person globally.






