20-year-old suspected scammer nabbed at Lagos airport for defrauding U.S. victims of over N1 billion

The Lagos Airport Police Command has apprehended a 20-year-old suspected celebrity scammer for allegedly defrauding multiple victims in the United States of over N1 billion.
The command’s spokesperson, ASP Mohammed Adeola, confirmed this in a statement on Tuesday in Lagos.
He said the suspect was apprehended on Monday by operatives of the anti-fraud unit of the Airport Police Command while attempting to board a flight out of Lagos State.
“The arrest followed months of intelligence-led surveillance and monitoring based on credible information linking the suspect to several transnational fraud schemes.
“Preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect, who previously resided in Calabar, relocated to Lagos State on February 23, 2024, from where he coordinated and executed multiple fraudulent operations targeting victims in the U.S.
“In one major case in 2024, the suspect deceived a 47-year-old female victim in the U.S. into transferring one million dollars under the guise of purchasing property in Florida for an orphanage.
“The funds were allegedly obtained through a cryptocurrency scheme known as ‘BullRun 2.0,’ formerly called ‘4 Way Mirror Money,’” he said.
The spokesperson said that further investigations revealed that the suspect also defrauded another 70-year-old female victim in the U.S. of $18,000
(N26 million).
“The fraud was perpetrated through the purchase of gift cards, high-end mobile devices, and computer equipment, which were shipped to Nigeria at the suspect’s direction.
“Items recovered in connection with the case include a MacBook Pro 14-inch, an iPhone 17 Pro Max, two Google Pixel 10 Pro XL devices, and one Google Pixel 10 Pro, with a combined estimated value of N8,141,367,” he said.
Mr Adeola said that further findings showed that the suspect posed as a 60-year-old orthopedic surgeon working with the United Nations in Nigeria, claiming that the devices were needed to maintain secure communications with the victim.
He said the command’s commissioner of police, Olufunke Ogunbode, reaffirmed the command’s commitment to blocking criminals from using airports as escape routes through intelligence-driven operations.
The police spokesperson said the command would continue to deploy intelligence-driven operations to detect, disrupt, and dismantle criminal networks operating within and around Nigeria’s aviation ecosystem.
According to him, the suspect and his case file have been transferred to the Nigeria Police Force Special Fraud Unit (NPF-SFU) for further investigation.
Mr Adeola said the suspect will be arraigned afterwards.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Union seeks amicable resolution to Oyebanji, Oluyin chair dispute
IDFU is the socio-cultural umbrella body representing all Iyin-Ekiti sons and daughters.

NationWide
2027: Muslim clerics urge Nigerians to vote for Tinubu
Mr Darma described the endorsement as the resolution of the meeting.

States
FFS saves N400 million property in Kano market fire
The controller urged the public to ensure that solar installations were carried out by qualified personnel.

States
Kogi police boss urges youths to reject political violence, digital thuggery
The commissioner described youths as critical partners in building a safer society.

NationWide
Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu: Tinubu’s campaign council rehab for fraud-tainted politicians, ADC says
The ADC argued that the 2027 election will be a referendum on Mr Tinubu’s record.

NationWide
Matawalle hails Yari’s appointment as Tinubu campaign council DG
He expressed confidence in their ability to deliver Mr Tinubu and the APC in the forthcoming elections.






