Tuesday, August 18, 2026

2023: Northern leaders demand Tinubu medical records

Ironically, the same leaders have never spoken out against the deteriorating health conditions of Muhammadu Buhari since he became president.

• January 15, 2022
President Muhammadu Buhari and Audu Ogbeh

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has expressed concerns over the health conditions of the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu. 

The ACF demands that any person with a convincing medical report that Mr Tinubu is not fit to run for Nigeria’s president should “come out and speak.”

National publicity secretary of ACF, Emmanuel Yawe, said those with evidence that the former Lagos governor was unwell should save Nigerians the agony of having a sick president take after President Muhammadu Buhari.

“If people have issues or evidence about his (Tinubu) health, let them come out and speak. Let them provide evidence that he is not strong enough to contest for the Presidency or hold the office,” the spokesperson said.

Mr Yawe added that “The people, who have the evidence that Tinubu is not strong enough for the office of Presidency, should save us the agony of having a sick President in office. They should speak out.”

The ACF spokesperson made this statement yesterday against the backdrop of Mr Tinubu’s declaration that he would run for the presidency in 2023.

Referring to the health challenges of late president Umar Yar’Adua, who died in office while sick, the group vowed not to allow any sick candidate become president.

“It is a serious office that will determine the future of millions of citizens. In a complex country like Nigeria, we should not allow somebody that is not medically fit to occupy such office and mess all of us up. 

“President Muhammadu Buhari is always travelling abroad for medical attention, and Nigerians would be organising demonstrations to force him back home. It was really embarrassing. We should not allow such things to happen again,” the group said.

Ironically, the same ACF have never spoken out against the deteriorating health conditions of Mr Buhari since he first formed government in 2015, despite several medical tours the president made to the United Kingdom.

In 2015, Mr Buhari spent over 150 days in a hospital outside the country, while the affairs of the nation was being run by vice-president Yemi Osinbajo, yet the ACF remained conspicuously silent.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Ebola clinic in DRC

Africa

Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history

WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Otti signing document

Economy

Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner

The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.