2023 Presidency: Tinubu to declare intention January 2022, says Fashola

The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, says he will in January 2022 declare his intention in contesting in the 2023 presidential elections.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, who said Mr Tinubu is yet to inform him of his presidential bid.
“I saw him last week; he didn’t tell me he is running for office and to the best of my knowledge, the last statement he made about it was that people would know in January,” Mr Fashola said during an interview on Channels Television.
When asked if he queried the party chieftain about the speculations, Mr Fasola said “No, I didn’t ask him, I only went to see how well he was doing.” Nonetheless, the minister said, “he has issued a statement that “I will speak in January”, so let’s wait for his speech.”
Speaking further, Mr Fashola stressed that he could not immediately declare support for any candidate, as he awaits official declaration.
“As far as I am aware, nobody has said, “I want to be Nigeria’s President”. There are people speaking for people. Nobody has come out, we are not at that stage yet.
“I can’t venture out and say that I will speak for X or Y. Let the person come out and say, “I want to serve Nigeria”” the minister said.
He added that “It pains me sometimes when we see that very important job and responsibility to, “My people said”. I think the whole sense of it should be that I am able, I have to look at myself, give me your problem, you go to sleep,” Mr Fashola said.
While Mr Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos State, is yet to make an official announcement, there have been indications of his interest in succeeding President Muhammadu Buhari.
In the past few months, billboards and posters of his election bid have flooded major cities in Nigeria, particularly Lagos and Abuja.
Last month, Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, launched a political group for Mr Tinubu’s 2023 presidential campaign.
The group, named SWAGA23, was inaugurated on October 7, in Ikeja, to kick-off campaign activities for the former Lagos governor.
“The SWAGA we are launching in Lagos today is a demonstration of Tinubu’s enduring political principles and strong vision,” Mr Sanwo-Olu partly said during the inauguration.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 2
FBI announces recruitment exercise in U.S, other countries
Mr Rothrock said America needs help to sustain its national peace from home and around the world.

States
Troops foil mass abduction in Zamfara
The spokesman for the operation said the incident occurred on Sunday.

Heading 5
Obi demands compensation for victims of electoral violence, killings in Osun
The NDC chieftain stressed the need for a democracy where elections are conducted without violence.

Abuja
Nigeria’s capital city Abuja flooded, vehicles submerged as FCT residents accuse Wike of encroaching on green areas
According to Mr Olayinka, the FCT administration is working to improve the drainage system.

Heading 4
NFF sacks Super Falcons coach, technical team After WAFCON, World Cup qualification failures
Mr Madugu led the team to their 10th WAFCON title in July 2025.

Sport
Coventry City confirm signing of Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest
In 2022, Awoniyi signed with Nottingham Forest in a record fee worth €17.2 million.






