2027 AFCON will take place June, July: CAF

The Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) has announced that the last Africa Cup of Nations tournament under the biennial arrangement will take place between June and July 2027.
CAF president Patrice Mosepe disclosed this while addressing journalists following the conclusion of the confederation’s executive committee meeting in Tanzania on Friday.
The football chief also dismissed media reports that CAF was planning to postpone the AFCON, set to be jointly hosted by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania, by one year over lack of readiness.
“We have done a lot to have AFCON held in east Africa, and our commitment remains to have AFCON in east Africa,” Mr Motsepe said. “I believe we will hold a very successful AFCON among the three countries.
He added, “CAF will work closely with the host nations to ensure every aspect of the tournament — from infrastructure to logistics — meets the highest standards.”
The exact date date for the opening match and the final will be confirmed by CAF on a later date.
Speaking further, Mr Mosepe also mentioned that CAF is planning to expand the AFCON from 24 to 28 countries starting when the tournament moves to a four-year cycle hosting starting from 2028.
“The AFCON as we know it now is one of Africa’s most important sporting events,” the South African administrator said. “We want to increase it to 28 countries, and, as we have said, hold it every four years.
“This will allow more nations to compete at the highest level, showcase their talent, and contribute to the growth of African football.”
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.

Africa
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in DR Congo’s history
WHO says Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is now the deadliest the country has ever faced.

Economy
Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection.






