700 people still missing after Mokwa flood: Niger Govt

The Niger government says that over 700 persons are still missing following the recent flooding in the Mokwa community, Mokwa Local Government Area of the state.
Governor Umaru Bago of Niger disclosed this when he received Maj. Hamza Al-Mustapha, former chief security officer to Gen. Sani Abacha, and his friends on a condolence visit to Minna on Tuesday over the recent flood.
Mr Bago, represented by Deputy Governor Yakubu Garba, also disclosed that 207 people had been confirmed dead and over 3,000 households displaced.
“Over 700 persons are still missing, and we are yet to ascertain where they are. The flooding has caused extensive damage,” he said.
He noted that the flood caused extensive damage, with 400 houses damaged while 283 homes and 50 shops were completely destroyed.
The governor appreciated individuals and corporate organisations for their donations and contributions, noting that the incident was a national disaster.
Mr Bago said the state government was working with professional organisations to determine the root cause of the flood and was awaiting assessment results.
Earlier, Mr Al-Mustapha said the visit was to sympathise with the Niger government and the people of Mokwa following the devastating flood incident.
“We will meet with the traditional council, especially the chairman in Mokwa, and pray that the incident doesn’t happen again,” he said.
He noted that the delegation comprised influential individuals from different parts of the country and aimed to offer sympathy and support to the state government and affected communities.
Mr Al-Mustapha added that the delegation would meet with the traditional council with a focus on finding ways to prevent similar incidents in the future and to improve town planning and living conditions.
He and his delegation earlier paid a visit to former military president Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd).
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Economy
ACCI seeks strong reforms to revive moribund enterprises
ACCI says credible regulation and private-sector partnerships are critical to restoring Nigeria’s moribund enterprises and productive economy.

States
BON hails INEC, calls for prosecution of Osun election offenders
The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria called for the immediate prosecution of all those found to have committed electoral crimes during the Osun governorship election.

Enugu
Ohanaeze Ndigbo approves bursary for 200 students studying Igbo language
Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide has approved academic bursaries for 200 students studying Igbo in universities across Nigeria.

Education
NELFUND backs Tinubu’s student loan financing
The Nigerian Education Loan Fund commended President Bola Tinubu for directing eligible funds recovered by the EFCC to the fund to support student loan financing.

Hot news Home top
Former Liberian vice-president Jewel Howard-Taylor charged with drug-trafficking
Ms Howard-Taylor was arrested and detained while trying to board a flight at Roberts International Airport in Monrovia.

World
Harry, Meghan, children to return to live in UK after six years in U.S.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are set to relocate to the UK with their children after six years in the U.S.






