Saturday, August 22, 2026

Tinubu mistakenly shared flats with drug lords in Chicago: Festus Keyamo

The campaign spokesman said the candidate incidentally shared an address with notorious cocaine dealers in the 1990s.

• November 10, 2022
Bola Tinubu [Credit: BAT]
Bola Ahmed Tinubu [Credit: BAT]

Festus Keyamo, chief spokesman for the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign council, has said Bola Tinubu, the party’s flag bearer, only shared a “block of flats” with notorious cocaine dealers in Chicago, pushing back after the release of court documents that suggested Mr Tinubu’s ties to illicit drug business and money laundering in the United States. 

“What happened was that Asiwaju (Bola Tinubu) went to open an account. The address which he used in opening the account was the address used by these people…(sic). I think some blocks of flats. Maybe, he happened to be in that block of flats too.

“So, they now link it that the other people they were investigating for narcotics are in the same address used by Asiwaju to open that account,” Mr Keyamo said on Wednesday on Channels Television programme to exonerate the former Lagos governor from the fresh controversies that had been trailing his involvement in drug peddling. 

Peoples Gazette on Tuesday published certified copies of the 1993 case as recently released by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.

The documents confirmed that the U.S. government had in July 1993 sought forfeiture of proceeds of narcotics Mr Tinubu was accused of laundering. The matter was resolved in a compromise between the Tinubus and the U.S. authorities, with the Tinubus being asked to keep the money in the Heritage Bank account while the $460,000 in the Citibank account was forfeited. 

A federal judge subsequently dismissed the matter with prejudice on September 21, 1993, which effectively foreclosed the matter from being litigated again by all parties. It, however, remained unclear whether or not Nigerian authorities could still bring charges against Mr Tinubu over the same case in Nigerian courts.

The former Lagos governor has come under intense public scrutiny over his opaque past, health status and allegations of corruption.  He has not personally commented on the latest case, but his campaign surrogates have emphasised that the matter was insignificant and would not be a factor in the upcoming elections. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Atiku Abubakar and Bola Tinubu

NationWide

Atiku pleads with FBI not to shield Tinubu, says president danger to Nigerians not Americans

“Our message is simple: Protect your investigators. Protect your sources. Protect your methods. But do not protect the truth from Nigerians,” Mr Atiku said.

Zacch Adedeji

NationWide

Nigerians react, allege Tinubu appointed Adedeji to divert taxes for 2027 campaign

Mr Adedeji was appointed deputy director of fundraising for Mr Tinubu’s 2027 presidential reelection campaign on Saturday.

States

Police dislodge bandits’ hideout, rescue three kidnap victims in Kaduna

Mr Hassan said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.

World

Chinese humanoid robot ‘Lightning’ beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record

The robot’s time also edged Bolt’s world record of 9.58 seconds in the men’s 100m, which the Jamaican set at the 2009 World Athletics Championships in Berlin.

Nyesom Wike

Politics

My goal is to deliver Rivers, FCT for Tinubu in 2027; not interested in APC campaign DG position: Wike 

Mr Wike said that he has no interest in being a member of Mr Tinubu’s presidential campaign council.

Africa

Former world boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside his home in South Africa

The motive behind the killing of the boxer is yet to be ascertained, according to the police.