Only mild side effects have been reported for AstraZeneca vaccines- NPHCDA

The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) in charge of Nigeria’s COVID-19 vaccination program says that they are aware of the precautionary concerns by the citizens, assuring that the vaccines administered by experts are safe with mild side effects.
“We are aware of precautionary concerns that have been raised regarding one specific batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine, namely ABV5300,” NPHCDA spokesperson Mohammad Ohitoto said in a press statement on Thursday.
“All side effects reported by those who have been administered the vaccine have been mild.”
The clarification comes amidst fears that jabs from AstraZeneca could result in adverse side effects as being reported in other countries. Some countries in Europe suspended the use of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines on Thursday, fearing that there are indications of blood clotting in some of the recipients of the jabs. The clots could lead to deaths if not promptly managed.
One person reportedly died in Denmark from the jab of ABV5300 received, forcing the country to suspend the use of the vaccines for further investigations.
The South-African government had weeks ago, also suspended rollout of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines after its experts found the vaccine ineffective for the variant of the contagion found in the country.
On Monday, South Korean health experts explained that there is no link between the Oxford- AstraZeneca vaccine and the deaths cases recorded in Europe.
The NPHCDA spokesman maintained that Oxford-AstraZeneca is safe as no adverse reactions have been recorded by the experts on people who have been administered the vaccine.
“We understand that investigations are being conducted to determine if the batch is in any way linked to an observed side effect,” the statement added.
“Vaccinations in Nigeria started earlier this month and we have not observed any similar adverse reactions.
“We are satisfied that the clinical evidence indicates the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to be safe and effective.
“We are aware of precautionary concerns that have been raised regarding one specific batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine, namely ABV5300”
“All side effects reported by those who have been administered the vaccine have been mild.”
The agency noted that the safety of the vaccines is paramount to the authorities and health agencies will continue to monitor the vaccines for the health safety of Nigerians.
“We are continuing to monitor the developments regarding ABV5300 batch and will share further information as it becomes available,” Mr. Ohitoto said.
Last week, the Nigerian government received 3.9 million doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines with the support of international health organisations. The NPHCDA have prioritised frontline workers to receive the vaccines, while an e-registration was developed for Nigerians to benefit from the vaccination program.
So far, distribution of the vaccines to the states have commenced. Some states have prioritised frontline health workers and major political leaders to receive the initial doses.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Port Harcourt
UNICEF seeks ethical reporting of children
The speakers stressed that the media could either compound children’s burdens or help protect them.

States
Ebonyi LG Poll: Police announce movement restriction
Ms Okafor warned that anyone found engaging in acts capable of causing a breakdown of law and order would face the full weight of the law.

Heading 1
Suspected cultists denied access to Davido at Ataoja’s palace shot 60-year-old man dead: Police
Police said the incident occurred around Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo at about 4 p.m., shortly after the governor visited the monarch alongside Davido.

Hot news Home top
Nigeria, Kenya lose $286 million music revenue annually to copyright gaps: U.S.
She urged policymakers to ratify and fully implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

Faith
Isese Day: Traditional worshippers urge Nigerians to pray for country’s progress
Isese Day is celebrated every August 20.







