Monday, August 17, 2026

Governor Abiodun’s moneybag Bidemi Rufai presents Yahoo girl as surety: FBI

Nekpen Soyemi’s ownership of a property in the U.S. could also not be verified, and two bank accounts traced to her had barely a fraction of the $300,000 bond.

• May 22, 2021
Abidemi Rufai and Dapo Abiodun
Abidemi Rufai and Dapo Abiodun

Abidemi Rufai, charged in over N312 billion unemployment fraud in the United States, will not be released on bail after the FBI uncovered vagrant irregularities in the surety he presented before the court, court documents seen by Peoples Gazette said.

Mr Rufai was granted bail with a $300,000 bond that will be provided by Nekpen Soyemi, a nurse identified to be his friend. But while the bail papers were being prepared to speed up Mr Rufai’s release, the FBI conducted a background check on Ms Soyemi and discovered that she was once suspected of a business email compromise scam by the Bank of America. 

The FBI also said Ms Soyemi was once involved in a $134,000 fraud linked to a non-profit. It was not immediately clear whether Ms Soyemi was charged.

Detectives also said Ms Soyemi’s ownership of a property in the U.S. could not be verified, and two bank accounts traced to her only had $335 and $1,838, respectively, as their balances. The combined balance was far from the $300,000 bond imposed on the suspect.

Consequently, prosecutors advised the judge to rescind Mr Rufai’s bail and instead remand him in custody indefinitely, fearing that he was a flight risk. The judge will hear the bail arguments again on May 25, a court official told The Gazette. 

“The defendant presents an extreme risk of non-appearance that cannot be addressed,” prosecutors said. “We respectfully request that the Court order him detained pending his transfer to this district, at which point his status may be reconsidered.”

A lawyer for the suspect did not immediately return a request seeking comments from The Gazette on Saturday evening. 

Mr Rufai, Governor Dapo Abiodun’s long-time aide and business associate, was arrested last week in New York as he prepared to depart for Nigeria, U.S. authorities said

His brother was initially listed as a potential surety following his appearance in court. But Alaba Rufai said he could not raise the required $300,000 bond, alongside other criteria. 

As part of terms for Mr Rufai’s release, he agreed to electronic home monitoring and travel restrictions. But the conditions might be reexamined during next Tuesday’s hearing.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Ademola Adeleke

Politics

‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares

“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

Governor Nasir Idris

States

Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate

Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Governor Ademola Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu

Opinion

Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics

The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

Troops with rescued victims

States

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

States

19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby

According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Makinde congratulates Adeleke

Politics

Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections

The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.