Governor Abiodun’s moneybag Bidemi Rufai presents Yahoo girl as surety: FBI

Abidemi Rufai, charged in over N312 billion unemployment fraud in the United States, will not be released on bail after the FBI uncovered vagrant irregularities in the surety he presented before the court, court documents seen by Peoples Gazette said.
Mr Rufai was granted bail with a $300,000 bond that will be provided by Nekpen Soyemi, a nurse identified to be his friend. But while the bail papers were being prepared to speed up Mr Rufai’s release, the FBI conducted a background check on Ms Soyemi and discovered that she was once suspected of a business email compromise scam by the Bank of America.
The FBI also said Ms Soyemi was once involved in a $134,000 fraud linked to a non-profit. It was not immediately clear whether Ms Soyemi was charged.
Detectives also said Ms Soyemi’s ownership of a property in the U.S. could not be verified, and two bank accounts traced to her only had $335 and $1,838, respectively, as their balances. The combined balance was far from the $300,000 bond imposed on the suspect.
Consequently, prosecutors advised the judge to rescind Mr Rufai’s bail and instead remand him in custody indefinitely, fearing that he was a flight risk. The judge will hear the bail arguments again on May 25, a court official told The Gazette.
“The defendant presents an extreme risk of non-appearance that cannot be addressed,” prosecutors said. “We respectfully request that the Court order him detained pending his transfer to this district, at which point his status may be reconsidered.”
A lawyer for the suspect did not immediately return a request seeking comments from The Gazette on Saturday evening.
Mr Rufai, Governor Dapo Abiodun’s long-time aide and business associate, was arrested last week in New York as he prepared to depart for Nigeria, U.S. authorities said.
His brother was initially listed as a potential surety following his appearance in court. But Alaba Rufai said he could not raise the required $300,000 bond, alongside other criteria.
As part of terms for Mr Rufai’s release, he agreed to electronic home monitoring and travel restrictions. But the conditions might be reexamined during next Tuesday’s hearing.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.

Lagos
Lagos restates ban on use of vehicle dealer number plates
The Lagos government has reiterated its ban on the permanent or everyday use of dealer number plates by motorists and vehicle dealers.

States
Wike-sanctioned Rainbow coalition pledges inclusive Rivers reconciliation
The reconciliation efforts aim to restore political harmony among stakeholders while fostering unity, progress and development across Rivers.

Anti-Corruption
Looted Wealth: Nigerians who forfeited assets to FG (1)
The asset forfeiture followed court rulings after the country’s anti-corruption agencies, especially the EFCC, pressed charges against them after investigations.

Economy
Seplat-NNPC empowers 127 teachers in Imo
The beneficiaries received training through the Seplat Teachers Empowerment Programme, with the first Imo cohort graduating in Owerri.

Anti-Corruption
Osun Account Freeze: Gov Adeleke withdraws suit against EFCC after Tinubu’s intervention
“I have instructed my attorney general to drop it (lawsuit against EFCC). Mr President has done well. He called me. What more do I want? He has waded in,” Mr Adeleke said.






