Monday, August 17, 2026

Uromi Killings: Gov. Yusuf begs Okpebholo to ensure public parade of perpetrators

Mr Yusuf commended Mr Okpebholo for his immediate visit to the crime scene and his efforts to ensure the victims were buried.

• March 31, 2025
Governor Abba Yusuf, Monday Okpebholo
Governor Abba Yusuf, Monday Okpebholo

Governor Abba Yusuf of Kano has challenged his counterpart in Edo, Monday Okpebholo, to publicly parade those responsible for the killing of 16 travellers in Uromi.

Speaking on Monday, Mr Yusuf expressed sadness over the killing of the northerners in Edo, emphasising that most of the victims were from Kano State.

The governor spoke while playing host to Mr Okpebholo, who led a delegation to Kano to offer Edo people’s condolences over the tragic incident, and said the northerners demand justice for victims.

“It is a known fact that our people were travelling from Port Harcourt through Edo State when they were brutally attacked. Many were maimed, burnt, and murdered in cold blood.

“Kano people trust you, and you have assured us that the perpetrators will be brought to justice. We appeal to you to ensure that they are not only arrested but also paraded publicly so that the world sees those responsible for this heinous crime,” Mr Yusuf stated.

He also commended the arrest of some suspects and the responses of the security agencies in Edo following the gruesome killing of the northerners but further reiterated that justice must be served.

While acknowledging the swift response of the Edo government to the killings, Mr Yusuf commended Mr Okpebholo for his immediate visit to the crime scene and his efforts to ensure the victims were buried.

He assured of Kano’s commitment to peaceful coexistence and warned against reprisals, stressing that Nigeria belongs to all citizens.

The Kano governor called on leaders to work together to prevent such incidents in the future, tasking security agencies to take firm action against those who incite violence.  

Remarking, Mr Okpebholo assured the people of Kano that justice would be served, revealing that 14 suspects had already been arrested and were being transferred to Abuja for further investigation.

He reaffirmed his commitment to maintaining harmony between the Hausa community in Edo and their hosts, stressing that the attack did not reflect the values of the state.  

“I want to assure you that Mr President was deeply disturbed by this incident and has directed security agencies to spare no effort in bringing the perpetrators to book,” Mr Okpebholo added.

President Bola Tinubu, the Northern Governors Forum (NGF), Amnesty International, different Muslim organisations, and concerned Nigerians condemned the gruesome killing of the northerners.

They also asked security agencies in Edo to fish out the perpetrators, conduct a thorough investigation, and bring them to justice. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States

NDC hails Gov Adeleke, says Osun election triumph for democracy

The NDC said Mr Adeleke’s victory in Saturday’s governorship election was a triumph for democracy and the people’s will.

Nigerian Army

States

Army deploys new measures to boost security in Sokoto-Kebbi border communities

The Nigerian Army said it readjusted its security architecture to prevent further terrorist attacks on communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.

Samuel Etaifo

States

Police warn against forceful takeover of Osun LG secretariats

Mr Etaifo said those planning to take over local government secretariats forcefully would be arrested and prosecuted.

Nasarawa State logo

States

Insecurity: Nasarawa communities seek FG’s urgent intervention

Residents said the security situation had become worrisome as a result of constant attacks, abductions and, in some cases, killings.

Kano

Kano cancer centre offers free radiotherapy to indigent patients

The Kano Cancer Treatment Centre has provided free radiotherapy treatment valued at over N12 million to 10 indigent cancer patients in Kano.

States

Ooni congratulates Gov Adeleke, urges unity in Osun

The monarch said the election’s conclusion should usher Osun into unity, reconciliation and purposeful governance for all communities.