Uromi Killings: Gov. Yusuf begs Okpebholo to ensure public parade of perpetrators

Governor Abba Yusuf of Kano has challenged his counterpart in Edo, Monday Okpebholo, to publicly parade those responsible for the killing of 16 travellers in Uromi.
Speaking on Monday, Mr Yusuf expressed sadness over the killing of the northerners in Edo, emphasising that most of the victims were from Kano State.
The governor spoke while playing host to Mr Okpebholo, who led a delegation to Kano to offer Edo people’s condolences over the tragic incident, and said the northerners demand justice for victims.
“It is a known fact that our people were travelling from Port Harcourt through Edo State when they were brutally attacked. Many were maimed, burnt, and murdered in cold blood.
“Kano people trust you, and you have assured us that the perpetrators will be brought to justice. We appeal to you to ensure that they are not only arrested but also paraded publicly so that the world sees those responsible for this heinous crime,” Mr Yusuf stated.
He also commended the arrest of some suspects and the responses of the security agencies in Edo following the gruesome killing of the northerners but further reiterated that justice must be served.
While acknowledging the swift response of the Edo government to the killings, Mr Yusuf commended Mr Okpebholo for his immediate visit to the crime scene and his efforts to ensure the victims were buried.
He assured of Kano’s commitment to peaceful coexistence and warned against reprisals, stressing that Nigeria belongs to all citizens.
The Kano governor called on leaders to work together to prevent such incidents in the future, tasking security agencies to take firm action against those who incite violence.
Remarking, Mr Okpebholo assured the people of Kano that justice would be served, revealing that 14 suspects had already been arrested and were being transferred to Abuja for further investigation.
He reaffirmed his commitment to maintaining harmony between the Hausa community in Edo and their hosts, stressing that the attack did not reflect the values of the state.
“I want to assure you that Mr President was deeply disturbed by this incident and has directed security agencies to spare no effort in bringing the perpetrators to book,” Mr Okpebholo added.
President Bola Tinubu, the Northern Governors Forum (NGF), Amnesty International, different Muslim organisations, and concerned Nigerians condemned the gruesome killing of the northerners.
They also asked security agencies in Edo to fish out the perpetrators, conduct a thorough investigation, and bring them to justice.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Politics
‘I hereby endorse Tinubu for second term in 2027 presidential election,’ Gov Adeleke declares
“My support is just based on the fact that he is a Yoruba man and he’s from the South-West…I will go all out for President Tinubu in 2027,” said Governor Ademola Adeleke.

States
Gov Idris drops Abubakar-Tafida, picks ex-finance commissioner as running mate
Governor Nasir Idris has replaced his deputy, Umar Abubakar-Tafida, with ex-finance commissioner Ibrahim Muhammad-Augie as his running mate for the 2027 governorship election.

Opinion
Osun election shows all is not fair in Nigerian politics
The Osun governorship election has now provided an important measure of where Nigeria stands.

States
14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army
The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

States
19-year-old girl under pressure to start having children allegedly steals newborn baby
According to the police, the suspect was under pressure to have a child, as some of her peers had already given birth.

Politics
Makinde congratulates Adeleke, urges INEC to conduct credible 2027 elections
The off-cycle election is a litmus test for the 2027 general election, according to Mr Makinde, who urged the commission not to let Nigerians down in 2027.






