Nigerians react as INEC reposts Tinubu aide’s message

The Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) repost of a press statement by Dada Olusegun, a special assistant to President Bola Tinubu on social media, has sparked reactions.
The statement denied allegations that INEC Chairman, Prof. Joash Amupitan, supported Mr Tinubu during the 2023 general election.
An X user, @Mrfestusogun, said, “Dada Olusegun posted an INEC press statement 23 hours before INEC even posted it.”
Another user, @adeyanjudeji, wrote that “the president’s SA on media is the one helping the INEC chairman to debunk allegations of partisanship.”
Also reacting, @TheoAbuAgada alleged that the commission copied the statement verbatim. “The press statement INEC posted was drafted by the SA on new media to the President. INEC posted the statement the aide shared online yesterday without a single edit,” he said.
@SadiqMaunde said, “A country where an SA to the president releases a statement defending the INEC chairman a few hours before the commission issues the same statement is not a serious country. A huge red flag.”
The African Democratic Congress (ADC), alongside several social media users, had earlier called for the resignation of Amupitan over his alleged role in supporting the president during the 2023 election, an allegation he has denied.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Sport
Yan Diomandé: Meet Africa’s most expensive footballer in history
After signing a seven-year deal with Real Madrid of Spain worth $144

NationWide
Atiku boycotted Peace Accord due to failures of past agreements to stop election violence, killings: ADC
The party faulted the Peace Accord Committee over Senator Francis Fadahunsi’s threat of violence.

States
Police nab three over alleged murder in Anambra
Mr Ikenga said that the incident occurred on August 17.

States
Terrorists invade Niger villages, abduct worshippers during Jumat prayers
The police spokesman, Wasiu Abiodun was not available for comment.

Education
Kwara distributes 1,755 computers to 70 public secondary schools
The governor stressed that education remained the bedrock of sustainable development.

World
U.S. sanctions 10 individuals over Hezbollah cash smuggling network
The sanctions were imposed under Executive Order 13224, the U.S. counterterrorism authority.






