Rockstar Games confirms hack as cybercriminals threaten GTA data leak

Rockstar Games, the developer behind the Grand Theft Auto (GTA) series, has confirmed it suffered a fresh data breach after a hacker group threatened to leak allegedly stolen company files unless a ransom is paid.
The company confirmed the incident in a statement, saying a “limited amount of non-material company information” was accessed through a third-party breach.
“We can confirm that a limited amount of non-material company information was accessed in connection with a third-party data breach. This incident has no impact on our organisation or our players,” a Rockstar spokesperson said.
The threat message, allegedly posted by the cybercriminal group ShinyHunters, warned Rockstar to “pay or leak” before an April 14 deadline, with a ransom of $200,000.
The group claimed Rockstar’s Snowflake cloud data was compromised through a third-party company, Anodot.
According to reports, the hackers said the stolen data would be released publicly because their demands had not been met.
The group, believed to be teenagers, has previously been linked to major breaches involving Ticketmaster and other global firms.
This marks the second major breach involving Rockstar.
In 2023, British hacker Arion Kurtaj leaked around 90 early gameplay videos and internal materials linked to the then-unfinished GTA 6.
The breach exposed unfinished footage of the game, prompting the company to release a trailer.
GTA is an action video game series in which players explore massive cities and complete missions.
The series was created by David Jones and brothers Dan and Sam Houser.
It started in 1997 as a 2D game in which players performed tasks, then moved to fully 3D in 2001 with GTA 3, allowing players to ignore missions, explore, and drive around the city.
The new game, GTA 6, is set in the fictional state of Leonida, inspired by Florida.
It is currently scheduled for release on November 19 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Lagos
NDLEA destroys N301 billion worth of cocaine, others in Lagos
The drugs were destroyed on Monday following a court order.

States
Police arraign man for alleged N1.8 million motorcycle theft
The prosecutor said the defendant and one other suspect, still at large, committed the offence on August 7 in Ado-Ekiti.

States
Kwara unveils roadmap to tackle viral hepatitis
Kwara State government on Monday inaugurated a comprehensive viral hepatitis elimination roadmap.

Lagos
Lagos police arraign three men over alleged N1.9 million theft
The magistrate adjourned the case until September 2 for mention.

States
Gov Adeleke’s re-election triumph of courage over fear, says Accord Party chairman
Mr Mgbudem said the election was a powerful testament to the people’s resolve to choose their governor freely and peacefully and protect their votes despite all odds.

Politics
Tinubu celebrates ex-military dictator IBB at 85
“But for his foresight, wisdom, and sense of equity and fairness, many states in the federation might not exist today,” Mr Tinubu reasoned.






