Flood Alert: Flooding preparedness intensified in Lagos, says LAWMA

The Lagos Waste Management Authority has strengthened measures to mitigate flooding as the rainy season approaches across the state.
The managing director of LAWMA, Muyiwa Gbadegesin, disclosed this in an interview on Tuesday in Lagos.
Mr Gbadegesin said LAWMA had intensified pre-rainy season waste evacuation, especially in flood-prone and densely populated areas, to prevent blockage of drainage channels.
He noted that enforcement is ongoing against indiscriminate dumping in drains, canals, and road medians to ensure the free flow of storm water.
He explained that resurfacing of internal roads at the Olusosun landfill had been approved to improve access and sustain seamless waste evacuation during heavy rains.
He said personnel and equipment were being strategically deployed to markets, highways, and flood-prone corridors for rapid response.
He added that monitoring of private-sector participants’ operations had been strengthened to ensure timely waste collection at household and commercial levels.
Mr Gbadegesin said LAWMA was enhancing operations of transfer loading stations and material recovery facilities to reduce landfill pressure and improve turnaround time.
He said public sensitisation campaigns were ongoing in collaboration with the News Agency of Nigeria, the National Orientation Agency and other stakeholders.
Mr Gbadegesin said that support was being provided for the reintroduced monthly environmental sanitation to promote community compliance and cleaner surroundings.
He urged residents to use the customer service line for prompt response to waste-related complaints.
Mr Gbadegesin also encouraged Lagos residents to adopt waste reduction practices, including reuse and recycling, to minimise pressure on drainage systems.
The federal government issued a flood alert last week, warning that 33 states of the country, including Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory, would experience flooding.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

NationWide
How El-Rufai started rumour about me being Mossad agent: Donald Duke
“It was Nasir El-Rufai who started the rumours about me being Mossad, and I confronted him about it,” Mr Duke said.

Economy
Atiku advertising economic ignorance by pushing to restore fuel subsidy in Nigeria: Tinubu
“One of my opponents now says he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is a demonstration of serious ignorance of governance and economy,” Mr Tinubu stated.

Politics
Oluyede visits Ekiti governor, pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
Wole Oluyede, PDP governorship candidate in the June 20 election in Ekiti, has promised to work for the re-election of President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election.

States
Humanitarian Crisis: Borno secures €61 million for peacebuilding
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.

Economy
Kano to push for fair share of federal appointments, recruitments: SSG
The Kano government has reiterated its determination to earnestly pursue and fully utilise whatever is legitimately due to the state under the Federal Character principle.

Politics
Mutfwang condemns attack on Plateau community
Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu council area, describing it as barbaric and unacceptable.






