Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy charged with rape

Mendy is set to appear in court on Friday August 27.

• August 26, 2021

Manchester City’s left-back Benjamin Mendy has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.


He is set to appear in court on Friday August 27. 


The complainants include three individuals over the age of 16, and the events are reported to have occurred between October 2020 and August 2021, according to Cheshire Constabulary.


Manchester City has since suspended the 27-year-old awaiting the outcome of the investigation, with the club saying in a statement that it will not comment further on the matter because it is still under investigation.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

University of Lagos

Education

UNILAG extends deadline for UTME candidates to upload results after portal glitch

The deadline, initially set for Wednesday, has been moved to August 24, 2026.

State Marco Rubio, Tomoko Akane

Heading 5

Trump govt sanctions ICC president Tomoko Akane, senior lawyer

The U.S. government imposed sanctions on ICC president Tomoko Akane over what it described as the tribunal’s “corrupt and fatally politicised” activities.

Imran Khan

Heading 2

Pakistan Supreme Court orders jailed ex-PM Imran Khan moved to hospital

The court also ruled that the former prime minister would be allowed to meet with his family weekly, including telephone calls with his sons.

Image used to illustrate the story

States

Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027

Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

Remi Tinubu

States

Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West

She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.