Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Nigerian student Obasi Chimezirm Princewill jailed in Cyprus for sexually molesting lady, recording act 

Police Sergeant Mustafa Mahan testified during the trial that authorities also received multiple reports of previous rape accusations against Mr Princewill.

• May 2, 2026
Obasi Chimezirm Princewill
Obasi Chimezirm Princewill(Credit: people’s gazette)

A Cyprus-based Nigerian student, Obasi Chimezirm Princewill, has been sentenced to 14 years’ imprisonment after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting an unnamed victim at her dormitory while videotaping the act. 

Reports stated the incident occurred in Nicosia Hamitköy between 10:30 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. from March 25 to 26, 2023 when Mr Princewill allegedly entered the victim’s room in a student dormitory before proceeding to strangle her and sexually assaulted her thrice.  

According to newspapers Gundem Kibris, Mr Princewill and the victim were acquaintances when the incident happened. The defendant, who was a law student at the time, was eventually arrested and had been on trial since then. 

Police Sergeant Mustafa Mahan testified during the trial that authorities also received multiple reports of previous rape accusations against Mr Princewill but the defendant reportedly offered N500,000 to buy the silence of the complainants. 

Delivering its judgment at the Nicosia High Criminal Court, a panel consisting of Senior Judge Vedia Berkut Barkin and Judge Gulay Uğur, sentenced Mr Princewill to a 14-year prison term after finding him guilty on all charges. 

“The defendant came to our country as a student. After becoming an illegal immigrant, he continued to reside here and committed such a grave crime,” Ms Barkin said in her judgment. 

The panel stated that the punishment for Mr Princewill’s actions were elevated because of recent law amendments that mandated stricter sentencing over the rise of sexual offences in Cyprus. 

Additionally, Ms Barkin highlighted videotaping the victim without her consent, evading arrest and showing no remorse throughout trial as aggravating factors in the defendant’s case. 

Meanwhile, netizens rxpressed satisfaction with the verdict, while some called for more severe punishment to deter others. 

“Fourteen years is too small. But glad you disgusting people face justice outside Nigeria. Too much enablement in that lawless country,” Instagram user @balonitaloni stated. 

Also, @mightified001 commented, “Very very good, such a misguided person should be dealt with several times, the authorities should arrest all the Nigerian scammers and deport them.”

In his opinion, @spencermcclain attributed criminal activities to the growing anti-Nigerian protests in South Africa and Ghana. 

“This is the reason why South Africans are kicking you guys from their country, and I stand with them and I stand with the Ghanaian as well. You go back to your country Nigeria to be doing all those foolishness,” he said. 

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Kevin Lamour with Infantino

Sport

FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan

Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.

Oyebamiji, Disu, Adeleke

States

Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members

“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.

Ronaldo with family

Hot news Home top

‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida

Politics

Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti

Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.

President Donald Trump

Economy

Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

Thousands at jason ardy vigil

World

Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday

Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.