Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Global warming to exceed 1.5°C limit, UN chief warns

UN secretary-general António Guterres warned on Tuesday that the world’s temperature will certainly surpass the 1.5°C limit set by the Paris Agreement in 2015.

• June 17, 2026
People cooling themselves amid heatwave
People cooling themselves amid heatwave (Credit: USA Today)

UN secretary-general António Guterres warned on Tuesday that the world’s temperature will certainly surpass the 1.5°C limit set by the Paris Agreement in 2015.

“The world will inevitably overshoot the 1.5°C limit,” Mr Guterres said via a video message during the Austrian World Summit in Vienna.

He, however, said temperatures could still be brought back below the 1.5°C threshold through urgent and concerted efforts.

The UN chief commended Austrian President Van der Bellen and climate action advocate Arnold Schwarzenegger, noting that the summit has brought together leaders, innovators, and citizens to advance climate action.

“That mission is more urgent than ever—as the climate crisis enters a dangerous new phase,” he said.

He decried the “most severe energy crisis in a generation” driven by the Middle East crisis, highlighting the “wrecking” of the planet by fossil fuels, which he said are also wrecking economies.

This, Mr Gutteres said, has left “countries at the mercy of geopolitical turmoil and supply disruptions, and leaving families with higher energy costs, higher food prices, and ever-greater climate losses”.

He noted that homegrown renewables, now the cheapest, fastest, and most dependable source of electricity, remain the way forward.

The UN chief called for faster and collaborative efforts to end dependence on fossil fuels “to build the grids, storage, and modern power systems to carry clean energy to every home”.

He emphasised the importance of addressing climate threats and urged greater resilience to deliver climate justice, including fulfilling financial promises and supporting developing countries in building and benefiting from the transition.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Image used to illustrate the story

States

Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027

Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

Remi Tinubu

States

Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West

She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

Bola Tinubu in a jolly mood with Wike.

States

I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike

Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Tinubu and Keir Starmer

Opinion

Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal

To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

Local drug store

States

Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores

The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

Peter Mbah and Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU)

States

Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike

The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.