Monday, August 17, 2026

Customs hands over 399 seized rifles to arms control agency

Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.

• August 17, 2026
Customs
Customs

The Comptroller General of Customs (CGC), Bashir Adeniyi, on Monday handed over 399 seized firearms to the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW).

Mr Adeniyi said officials seized the firearms while inspecting and documenting a consignment at Tincan Island Port, Lagos.                                                                                                       

He said the firearms were presented to the centre to ensure proper custody and accountability under national security laws.

The comptroller-general said the 399 rifles included assorted component parts: 89 frames, 80 charging handles, 579 trigger groups, and 25 locking lugs. 

“The service has completed inspection and documentation of the consignment intercepted at the port. 

“The seizure was made possible through the trade modernisation system and improved risk management tools. 

“Technology has now made it possible for customs personnel to identify high-risk containers without examining every shipment manually,” the CGC said.

He said two suspects linked to the consignment were arrested and remanded by a Federal Court in Lagos.

Mr Adeniyi added that the NCCSALW would now manage the firearms under the National Security Adviser’s office.

He stressed that customs would not allow Nigerian borders to be used to import arms or other dangerous goods.

He commended the Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Joseph Anani, and officers at the Tincan Island Port for their diligence, and urged all personnel to remain vigilant across all commands.

The comptroller general of customs warned that any officer found compromising the system would face disciplinary action.

He also acknowledged the cooperation of other security agencies and international partners in combating arms trafficking.

“The service remains committed to protecting the nation’s borders and supporting the government’s efforts on national security.

“Our prayer is that Nigeria will continue to be at peace and in prosperity,” Mr Adeniyi said.

Babatunde Kokumo, director-general of NCCSALW, said the centre received 399 seized illicit weapons and two suspects from the Nigeria Customs Service at Tincan Island Port.

Mr Kokumo commended the customs’ role in arms recovery and Mr Adeniyi for his leadership and continuous collaboration in recovering illicit arms and curbing proliferation nationwide.

He said illegal arms drove terrorism, banditry and kidnapping.

He added that over 21,000 weapons had been retrieved and 19,000 destroyed since NCCSALW’s establishment.

He said that four suspects faced prosecution, while the weapons had been catalogued.

Referencing 2024 seizures at Lagos Airport and Onne Port, Mr Kokumo said that the suspects were in detention and undergoing prosecution. He noted that NCCSALW would catalogue, profile and destroy unserviceable weapons.

Mr Kokumo called for synergy in arms control and urged inter-agency cooperation, intelligence sharing and civil disarmament.

He thanked the National Security Adviser (NSA) and the customs service, pledging strict accountability in line with national and international laws.

Joseph Anani, the Customs Area Controller, Tincan Island Command, said arms control required strong collaboration among all security agencies and strict adherence to the law in managing and accounting for seized items.

Mr Anani commended the NCCSALW for its partnership and expressed confidence that their cooperation would yield positive results in national security.

He reaffirmed customs’ commitment to supporting the federal government in combating the illicit movement of small arms and light weapons into the country. 

(NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Nigerian Society of Engineers

States

NSE calls for engineering innovation to tackle Nigeria’s security challenges

The chairman urged young engineers to embrace continuous professional development.

States

Ex-lawmaker decries attacks on APC chieftain Igbokwe’s Anambra residence

He described the vandalisation of Mr Igbokwe’s residence as unacceptable.

NDLEA

Lagos

NDLEA destroys N301 billion worth of cocaine, others in Lagos

The drugs were destroyed on Monday following a court order.

Court room used to illustrate the story

States

Police arraign man for alleged N1.8 million motorcycle theft

The prosecutor said the defendant and one other suspect, still at large, committed the offence on August 7 in Ado-Ekiti.

Kwara State

States

Kwara unveils roadmap to tackle viral hepatitis

Kwara State government on Monday inaugurated a comprehensive viral hepatitis elimination roadmap.

Courtroom

Lagos

Lagos police arraign three men over alleged N1.9 million theft

The magistrate adjourned the case until September 2 for mention.