Abia tax reform targets efficiency, says commissioner
The Abia government says its current tax reforms are designed to improve transparency, accountability and efficiency in revenue collection, rather than increase the tax burden on residents.
The commissioner for information, Okey Kanu, said this while briefing journalists at the Government House, Umuahia, on the outcome of Monday’s State Executive Council meeting.
Mr Kanu said that the reforms were part of the present administration’s broader transformation of government institutions, processes and structures to deliver better services to the people.
He said the reforms focused on making tax administration more transparent, traceable, auditable, automated, and taxpayer-friendly.
“In the past, we had processes that were independently operated, leaving room for manual intervention, middleman cash handling, arbitrary practices of sorts, and poor accountability.
“The new system under operation seeks to close this gap, and under the new system, the State Board of Internal Revenue is automating and integrating the processes.
“This will enable taxpayers to know exactly what they are being assessed to pay, why they are being assessed, and how much they are required to pay through government-approved channels. Automation, therefore, is not a tax increment. Transparency is not a tax increment. Closing revenue leakages is not a tax increment,” he said.
Mr Kanu also said that the reforms had naturally attracted resistance from some sections of society, pointing out that people, particularly those benefiting from the old system, often resisted change.
He said the Abia government would continue to administer taxes, in line with the present administration’s definition of taxation as the government’s share of the prosperity it created for the citizenry.
The commissioner also disclosed that the governor had approved the disbursement of N1 million each to 31 verified Abia returnees from South Africa as interim support to enable them to resettle.
He said that the assistance was part of the governor’s compassionate approach to governance and commitment to the welfare of Abia people. He said that a comprehensive profiling was ongoing to determine the specific needs and circumstances of the returnees.
He said that the outcome of the exercise would guide the development of appropriate programmes to support their reintegration into society.
He further said that the Commissioner for Poverty Alleviation and Social Protection had been directed to ascertain whether any individuals of Abia origin were still stranded in South Africa.
On road infrastructure, the commissioner said direct-labour works had been carried out at 45 locations across the state. He said one project was completed during the period under review, while no new project was added to the Ministry of Works’ maintenance basket.
Mr Kanu identified the completed project as routine maintenance on the seven-kilometre Akpa-Mbato-Abala Road in Obingwa council area. He said that 26 roads were currently under contract, with many at various stages of completion.
He attributed the slow pace of work at some sites to the rainy season, expressing optimism that construction activities would pick up once the rains abated.
(NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices
Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
Sport
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticising Infantino’s investment plan
Mr Lamour’s dismissal was confirmed by a FIFA spokesperson, who said the COO would be relieved of his responsibilities effective Monday.
States
Oyebamiji begs Adeleke, IGP Disu to stop post-election violent attacks on APC members
“I wish to alert the state government and security agents to the growing trend of hostility and violence against our members and supporters,” Mr Oyebamiji said on Tuesday.
Hot news Home top
‘This is probably my last year of football,’ says Ronaldo
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” said Ronaldo.
Politics
Former military dictator IBB ‘father of Abia state’, says Otti
Governor Alex Otti congratulated former military dictator Ibrahim Babangida on his 85th birthday, describing him as the ‘Father of Abia state’.
Economy
Iran War: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman in the Middle East if it “gets in the way” of its deal between the United States and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.
World
Thousands keep vigil to mourn Jason Arday
Thousands of people gathered on Monday at a vigil in Trafalgar Square for Jason Arday, a 41-year-old Cambridge University professor who died amid allegations of plagiarism.






