WHO hopeful on Congo Ebola outbreak containment

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo can still be contained despite its continued spread across the country.
The WHO Incident Manager, Thierno Balde, said the outbreak could be brought under control within three months if adequate resources were provided.
The outbreak, Congo’s worst of 17, has killed at least 2,325 people, making it the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak on record.
Mr Balde said the situation had worsened since the WHO initially projected that the spread could be reversed within three months, as the outbreak now extends to a sixth province.
“About the next plan for the three months, yes, if you have the necessary resources, I think it will be possible to do that,” he said.
The WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the $115 million needed to fund the Ebola response.
Mr Balde identified delayed detection, overstretched surveillance teams, armed conflict and shortages of vaccines and treatments for the Bundibugyo strain as major challenges.
He said containment efforts were being stepped up, with 400 additional beds added over the past two weeks.
He added that more epidemiologists would be deployed to trace contacts of infected people.
“The situation is quite difficult, but people are working here day and night trying to control this outbreak,” Mr Balde said.
He, however, said the outbreak remained far from being contained, noting that between 70 and 80 per cent of new cases had no known link to previously identified patients.
According to him, the development indicated that the virus was continuing to spread undetected in several areas.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) Head of Emergency Preparedness and Response, Wessam Mankoula, said the full extent of the outbreak remained unclear.
“We are far from discovering the magnitude of this outbreak,” Mr Mankoula said.
The WHO Emergency Committee is meeting on Tuesday to review the outbreak, declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) by the UN agency on May 17.
The committee is expected to decide whether to extend the emergency declaration and issue recommendations to countries on measures to curb the spread.
(Reuters/NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.

States
Gov. Idris okays N2 billion, buses for seven Kebbi tertiary institutions
Mr Abubakar-Tunga said the buses were meant to enhance mobility, welfare, and learning conditions across the institutions.

NationWide
NCoS urges inmates to deepen religious values, build character
Mr David urged inmates in custodial centres to let religion take deeper root in their character to achieve desired reformation.






