Tuesday, August 18, 2026

WHO hopeful on Congo Ebola outbreak containment 

The WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the $115 million needed to fund the Ebola response.

• August 18, 2026
Health workers
Health workers with PPE in DR Congo [credit : Daily trust]

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo can still be contained despite its continued spread across the country.

The WHO Incident Manager, Thierno Balde, said the outbreak could be brought under control within three months if adequate resources were provided.

The outbreak, Congo’s worst of 17, has killed at least 2,325 people, making it the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak on record.

Mr Balde said the situation had worsened since the WHO initially projected that the spread could be reversed within three months, as the outbreak now extends to a sixth province.

“About the next plan for the three months, yes, if you have the necessary resources, I think it will be possible to do that,” he said.

The WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the $115 million needed to fund the Ebola response.

Mr Balde identified delayed detection, overstretched surveillance teams, armed conflict and shortages of vaccines and treatments for the Bundibugyo strain as major challenges.

He said containment efforts were being stepped up, with 400 additional beds added over the past two weeks.

He added that more epidemiologists would be deployed to trace contacts of infected people.

“The situation is quite difficult, but people are working here day and night trying to control this outbreak,” Mr Balde said.

He, however, said the outbreak remained far from being contained, noting that between 70 and 80 per cent of new cases had no known link to previously identified patients.

According to him, the development indicated that the virus was continuing to spread undetected in several areas.

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) Head of Emergency Preparedness and Response, Wessam Mankoula, said the full extent of the outbreak remained unclear.

“We are far from discovering the magnitude of this outbreak,” Mr Mankoula said.

The WHO Emergency Committee is meeting on Tuesday to review the outbreak, declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) by the UN agency on May 17.

The committee is expected to decide whether to extend the emergency declaration and issue recommendations to countries on measures to curb the spread. 

(Reuters/NAN)

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Anambra state

States

Anambra health insurance agency warns desk officers against overbilling enrollees

Mr Ezeka urged the officers to uphold transparency, professionalism and accountability in the discharge of their duties.

Flags of Iran, Brazi

Economy

Iran, Brazil set to deepen economic, trade ties

Iran and Brazil agreed to develop a joint roadmap to deepen economic and trade relations.

Foluso Omole

Diaspora

Nigerian Foluso Omole arrested while fleeing Australia, charged over $5 million fraud

Mr Omole, 38, was arrested at Adelaide Airport as he attempted to flee Australia for Nigeria last Friday.

Silhouette of an abuse

States

Edo presents framework against digital gender-based violence 

The state Commissioner for Health, Cyril Oshiomhole, emphasised that survivors of GBV should not be blamed for violence perpetrated against them.

Sri Lankan rupee

World

Sri Lanka to criminalise unauthorised forex transfers

The proposed amendment will affect the Foreign Exchange Act, No. 12 of 2017, which the government said contains gaps that limit criminal action against certain outward remittances.

Federation Account Allocation Committee

NationWide

FG, states, LGs shared N3.007 trillion revenue in July: FAAC

FAAC said the July figures indicated an improvement in statutory revenue, with gross statutory revenue rising to N4.359 trillion.