EU leaders back ICC after U.S. slams sanctions on two senior officials

European Union (EU) leaders on Wednesday backed the International Criminal Court following sanctions imposed by the United States on two senior officials.
The U.S. sanctions came on August 17. before the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Antonio Costa reaffirmed their backing for the ICC.
In separate posts on social media platform X, the EU leaders said they stood firmly with the ICC, its President Tomoko Akane and other officials working to uphold the court’s mandate.
“The ICC helps deliver justice to the victims of some of the world’s most horrific crimes,” they said.
They added that ICC judges and officials must be allowed to perform their duties independently and without external pressure.
The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump earlier on Tuesday imposed sanctions on Mr Akane, a Japanese national, and Abdoulaye Seye, a Senegalese national and senior trial lawyer at the ICC.
The U.S. government accused the two officials of directly engaging in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain or prosecute officials whose governments had not consented to the court’s jurisdiction.
The sanctions generally prohibit U.S. nationals from conducting transactions with Messrs Akane and Seye and restrict the two officials from accessing the U.S. financial system.
(Xinhua/NAN)
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Rights
NAPTIP seeks media, government agencies’ collaboration to end SGBV in Nigeria
Ms Bello said SGBV remained one of the most common human rights violations in Nigeria.

Sport
FULL LIST : FIFA names Ngock, Chawinga, Bihina, Dafeaur among top 10 stars at 2026 WAFCON
Ngock was named Player of the Tournament following Cameroon’s historic victory against Malawi.

States
Ebonyi: PDP governorship candidate urges residents to embrace peace ahead of 2027 elections
The governorship candidate stressed that political differences should not be allowed to degenerate into violence.

Africa
Sudan, South Sudan revive security talks after defence minister’s visit
The minister said continued cooperation between Sudan and South Sudan was important to maintaining stability.

Abuja
Blocked drainage infrastructure cause of Abuja flash flooding: FG
The ministry said proactive drainage management is necessary to restore hydraulic functionality.

States
2027: Fintiri inaugurates presidential, National Assembly campaigns in Adamawa
Ms Farauta commended President Bola Tinubu’s policies and programmes.






