Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher

Prince Harry, Elton John and actress Liz Hurley are among seven prominent personalities ordered by a London High Court to pay £9.5 million (about $13 million) to Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail, after losing a privacy case against the media organisation.
The judge, Sir Matthew Nicklin, on Friday directed the plaintiffs to make an initial deposit of £9.5 million before August 28 as part of the payment for all legal expenses incurred by the Daily Mail during the case, after the plaintiffs failed to prove that their privacy rights were breached.
At issue was the group of seven’s accusation that the Daily Mail used private investigators to listen to their phone calls, track their emails and deceive their acquaintances into divulging information about their activities. Associated Newspapers denied the accusation.
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case and faulted them for lacking sufficient evidence to substantiate their claim “that the information complained of had been obtained unlawfully.”
The newspaper claimed to have amassed £34.5 million in legal fees over the matter, requesting reimbursement. While the judge ordered Prince Harry and Elton John to make the first deposit of £9.5 million, he admitted that the funds “appear exceptionally high” and “largely unexplained.”
The judge’s indication that the first tranche of millions had a payment deadline suggested that Mr Nicklin could grant the newspaper’s compensation request and ask the plaintiffs to pay as much as the requested £9.5 million.
He rejected a request by the plaintiffs to limit the compensation to between £16 million and £18 million.
“That would be vulnerable to the charge that it was arbitrary. It would also risk unfairness to Associated, because it would deprive Associated of the opportunity to demonstrate, on evidence and in the proper forum, that costs above the cap were reasonably incurred,” the judge wrote in an opinion on Friday.
Still, the judge voiced concerns about the enormity of the damages claimed by the newspaper.
“I regard a claim for costs in excess of £34 million as, on its face, excessive and as giving rise to real concerns as to whether all of the costs now claimed by Associated were reasonably incurred and are reasonable in amount,” he wrote.
The plaintiffs include Prince Harry, Elton John and his husband, David Furnish; Simon Hughes, an ex-legislator; Doreen Lawrence, a member of the House of Lords; and actresses Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley.
The fee will be easy to settle, at least the $13 million, according to the Law Society Gazette, a British legal newspaper. The group of celebrities that brought the claim have legal insurance covering them for £16.2 million in the event of losing the case.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Heading 5
Arsenal beat Coventry City 3-0 in Premier League opener
Kai Havertz found the back of the net in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Africa
DR Congo’s Ebola death toll hits 2,500
He projected that the existing funds will be exhausted in weeks.

States
Troops rescue 43-year-old kidnap victim in Kaduna, kill terrorist in Sokoto
The spokesperson said that troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw in disarray.

Sport
Usain Bolt registers to play for Manchester Sunday league team
The 40-year-old Manchester United fan registered as a player for Wythenshawe Vets FC.

Education
WAEC announces release of 2026 WASSCE digital certificates
The examination body asked candidates to log on to waec.org to access their certificates.

Heading 5
Prince Harry, Elton John, five others ordered to make initial payment of £9.5 million to Daily Mail publisher
The judge said the plaintiffs had not built an airtight case.






