Saturday, August 22, 2026

U.S. judge strikes down Trump’s visa ban for Nigerians, 74 other nations

• August 22, 2026
U.S. visa (bromide) and Trump.
U.S. visa and Trump.

A U.S. judge on Friday struck down President Donald Trump’s visa ban for Nigerians and foreign nationals from 74 other countries.

Judge Jeannette Vargas of Manhattan on Friday in the Southern District of New York ruled that the policy was “patently unlawful,” adding that Secretary of ‌State Marco Rubio has no statutory authority.

“The policy, which categorically ⁠prohibits the issuance of immigrant visas based upon the nationality of the applicant, represents a direct abrogation of this statutory scheme,” the judge ruled.

Earlier in the year, U.S. government suspended visa processing for Nigeria and other 75 countries. The policy took effect on January 21, barring the affected countries in Africa, Asia, Caribbean, America and other parts of the world from U.S. visa.

Announcing the policy, the U.S. Department of State said, “Immigration from these 75 countries will be paused while the State Department reassesses immigration processing procedures to prevent the entry of foreign nationals who would take welfare and public benefits.”

The move followed Mr. Trump’s clampdown on immigration, a focal point of his 2024 campaign before his re-election to the White House.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Edo Queens (Credit: Nigerian Guardian)

Africa

Edo Queens ready to contest WAFU B qualifying ticket in Ouagadougou, says coach

The WAFU-B qualifiers will determine the team that represents the zone at the 2026 CAF Women’s Champions League.

NationWide

Troops rescued 59 kidnap victims, killed several terrorists in one-week nationwide operations: DHQ

Mr Onoja said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued eight kidnap victims during the week in the North-East.

Uber Taxi

Hot news Home top

Uber fined $966 million for deactivating drivers’ accounts over alleged fraudulent practices

Uber said it disagreed with the regulator’s decision and said it would file an appeal.

NationWide

Defence minister, gender advocates, others seek women inclusion in governance

The minister stressed the need for women to contribute their quota to tackle complex security challenges within the country.

The colleagues at the session.

Heading 1

Ogogo: Colleagues hold prayer session for ailing Nollywood actor

He prayed God Almighty to give Mr Hassan’s family, friends, and colleagues the strength to stand by the actor.