U.S. judge strikes down Trump’s visa ban for Nigerians, 74 other nations
A U.S. judge on Friday struck down President Donald Trump’s visa ban for Nigerians and foreign nationals from 74 other countries.
Judge Jeannette Vargas of Manhattan on Friday in the Southern District of New York ruled that the policy was “patently unlawful,” adding that Secretary of State Marco Rubio has no statutory authority.
“The policy, which categorically prohibits the issuance of immigrant visas based upon the nationality of the applicant, represents a direct abrogation of this statutory scheme,” the judge ruled.
Earlier in the year, U.S. government suspended visa processing for Nigeria and other 75 countries. The policy took effect on January 21, barring the affected countries in Africa, Asia, Caribbean, America and other parts of the world from U.S. visa.
Announcing the policy, the U.S. Department of State said, “Immigration from these 75 countries will be paused while the State Department reassesses immigration processing procedures to prevent the entry of foreign nationals who would take welfare and public benefits.”
The move followed Mr. Trump’s clampdown on immigration, a focal point of his 2024 campaign before his re-election to the White House.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette
Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices
Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”
States
Zulum assures parents FG, Borno working to rescue 44 Borno pupils
Mr Zulum expressed sympathy to the affected families.
World
U.S. court sets one-month timeline for FBI to explain why Tinubu criminal records should stay secret
The judge requested the agency to file its final response on September 18, 2026.
Heading 5
Six-year-old pupil collapses, dies after teacher’s scolding over homework
The pupil’s father said his son had no health issues before leaving home.
States
Gov Abdulrazaq poorly managing Kwara APC ahead of 2027 elections: Senator Mustapha
Saliu Mustapha, the lawmaker representing Kwara Central, has accused Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of poorly managing members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state
World
TikTok to pay $400 million in settlement to U.S. govt over children’s privacy litigation
The settlement represents one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a COPPA case.






