Saturday, August 22, 2026

Carney vows retaliation as Trump govt slams fresh 50% tariffs on Canadian goods

Mr Trump set a deadline for negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement.

• August 22, 2026
President Donald Trump and Mark Carney
President Donald Trump and Mark Carney

The United States on Saturday imposed 50 per cent tariffs on about $20 billion worth of Canadian goods after trade negotiations between both countries failed.

Canada has vowed to retaliate.

The Trump administration announced the tariffs in July over what it called Canada’s “discriminatory treatment of American products.”

Trade negotiators from both countries met for the third day on Friday in Washington, DC, to finalise their trade deal following President Donald Trump’s threat to impose the tariffs.

Mr Trump set a deadline for the negotiations, but negotiators said they had yet to reach an agreement, prompting the tariffs to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time (05:01 GMT+1). The deadline was initially set for last Wednesday but was extended.

“We have more work to do. We’re going to continue working up until the last minute. Our job is not finished,” the minister responsible for Canada-U.S. Trade, Dominic LeBlanc, told reporters following talks with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.

His comments came shortly after Mr Trump said that the U.S. “should be able to have a deal with Canada.”

In response to the tariff implementation, Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that his country would impose retaliatory tariffs.

“Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” he said.

“In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada’s position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.,” Mr Carney said in a statement. “However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians.”

He noted that the Canadian government would, in the coming days, implement measures to protect citizens from the impact of the trade war with the U.S.

Mr Greer had announced that Canada “declined to finalise the trade deal under the terms agreed” with Washington, saying it was “a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States.”

“Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walkbacks of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” he said.

Five per cent of Canadian products, including electronics, industrial machinery and dairy products, would be affected by the tariffs. The latest tariffs add to existing import taxes on steel, lumber and autos.

Since returning to the White House last year, Mr Trump has slapped Canada with tariffs on key imports, with the neighbouring country retaliating. Since then, both countries have engaged in a cyclical trade dispute, with Mr Trump repeatedly threatening new tariffs.

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Accident Scene

Lagos

Five die in Badagry road crash

Mr Oke-Osanyintolu said, ““The remains of the victims were carefully recovered, bagged with dignity, and handed over to officials of the Federal Road Safety Corps.”

Ngozi Olejeme and Betta Edu

Heading 1

Tinubu appoints Ngozi Olejeme, Betta Edu fingered in over N1billion fraud as 2027 campaign council members

The EFCC told the People Gazette that investigations were still ongoing on Mr Edu’s case.

The U.S Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia

World

U.S. military fires publisher, top editor of Stars and Stripes reporting U.S. navy sailors’ travails

The newspaper’s publisher since 2007, Max Lederer, who had earlier this week announced his retirement in September, was also fired.

Atiku Abubakar

Heading 2

Atiku’s latest position on subsidy driven by political desperation, says ex-APC spokesman

Mr Oladejo noted that subsidy removal should not be reduced to a mere campaign slogan.

MultiChoice

NationWide

EPL: GOtv, DStv subscribers decry activation delay

One of the subscribers, Abuja Streets (@abujastreets) wrote on X on Friday that the EPL resumed but subscribers were stranded.