European Club Association writes FIFA, says releasing players for AFCON impossible

The European Club Association (ECA) says clubs in the region cannot release African players for the forthcoming 2021 African Cup of Nations unless national football associations in Africa meet certain stringent conditions.
“It is the obligation of each national association that wishes to call a player for national team duty to establish to the satisfaction of the respective clubs that all applicable medical protocols have been implemented and will be strictly enforced,” it stated.
The ECA accused African football associations of failing to “properly implement protocols with worrying degrees of negligence.”
It further demanded that there “cannot be mandatory release in circumstances where the release period’s duration would necessitate players missing official club matches, “that is, official club matches scheduled to take place within the release period.”
“The unavailability of players for club activities cannot extend beyond the agreed release periods (for example, quarantine or travel restrictions meaning that players would be unavailable for longer than the release period).
“Against this backdrop, please note tha, at its meeting of December 2, 2021, the ECA executive board unanimously re-confirmed its position that the three principles referred to above must be strictly respected and, should this not be the case, that players not be released for national team duty,” said the ECA in an official letter to FIFA Deputy Secretary-General Matthias Grafstrom and the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
The ECA, in the letter, stated that because of the lack of adequate health measures taken by CAF relating to the prevention against COVID-19, European clubs did not have the intention to release African players for the 2021 AFCON.
The ECA earlier implored FIFA and CAF to ensure necessary precautions are in place to protect players and club interests ahead of the tournament.
“The board also expressed its deep concerns around player safety and welfare ahead of the African Cup Nations and upcoming international windows in early 2022, particularly in light of the worsening public health situation and the severe challenges faced during recent international windows,” stated the ECA.
It added, “The board agreed to engage urgently with FIFA to ensure all necessary precautions are in place to protect players and club interests as the health situation continues to deteriorate in an alarming manner.”
The 33rd edition of Africa’s most prestigious football tournament will be held in Cameroon from January 9 to February 6, 2022.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

States
Lagos APC targets three million votes for Tinubu in 2027
Mr Ojelabi said the party’s performance in the 2023 presidential election was disappointing, and urged members to use the 2027 election to redeem its image.

States
Remi Tinubu inaugurates national community food bank for South-West
She said the programme is a deliberate, sustainable response to food insecurity and malnutrition among vulnerable households nationwide.

States
I would have delivered Osun to Tinubu even if people voted against APC: Wike
Mr Wike insisted the outcome of the election would have been different if he had been on the federal government team that went to Osun State.

Opinion
Obiageli Ezekwesili: President Tinubu, terminate the dodgy £746 million ports deal
To my fellow citizens, this deal will worsen Nigeria’s fiscal and economic future. I have spoken. You have a voice. Use it.

States
Kano govt bans IV fluid, blood transfusion at patent medicine stores
The Kano State government has banned patent medicine stores across the state from administering intravenous (IV) fluid infusion and blood transfusion.

States
Gov Mbah increases ESUT subvention to N276 million, urges ASUU to suspend strike
The increase brings the state government’s total monthly funding to ESUT from N161 million to N276 million.






