Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Police detain clout-chasing lady over false rape, kidnap alarm

The police said “the three men will be arraigned for wrongful restraint while Toyosi will be arraigned for giving false information.”

• April 14, 2022
Toyosi Adesegun
Toyosi Adesegun

The police in Lagos have taken Toyosi Adesegun, a 20-year-old lady, into custody after she raised a false rape and kidnap alarm on social media to apparently chase clout.

Police spokesman in Lagos, Benjamin Hundeyin, said in a tweet that the lady “voluntarily presented herself’ to the police after she made an inflammable post clarifying that she was not really in danger but had just tweeted as a “joke.”

Mr Hindeyin said Ms Adesegun is in their custody and is being questioned by the police.

The police spokesperson said she raised a false alarm after she was “restrained from leaving the apartment by the young men [that she was with].”

He said the lady alongside the young men will be arraigned in court.

“After a careful and extensive investigation, it is revealed that 20-year-old Toyosi Adesegun, female, is a regular visitor to Olamilekan Faruk, Ayanfe Ayinde and Olusola Onipede, all male of 78 Obayan Street Akoka,” Mr Hundeyin said.

“This morning, she was restrained from leaving the apartment by the young men. Toyosi threatened to tweet what she tweeted if she was not allowed to leave.

“The young men called her bluff and she tweeted.

“Based on the foregoing, the three men will be arraigned for wrongful restraint while Toyosi will be arraigned for giving false information.”

In a social media post on Thursday morning, Ms Adesegun alleged that some men had kidnapped and raped her in an apartment in Akoka, Lagos.

She posted the address and contact of her alleged abductors on her social media handle.

“I’m being kidnapped guys, I’m being raped,” @_misteriouss tweeted.

Following the tweet, there was an uproar on social media; the police traced the addressed she posted and arrested some young men living in the apartment.

“We have been at the location for over thirty minutes now. Well-meaning Nigerians have commendably shown concern. We will get to the roots of this,” Mr Hindeyin had said on Twitter.

After her viral post, Ms Adesegun retracted her accusation of rape against the young men.

She claimed it was a false accusation, “I tweeted earlier that I was kidnapped and raped. It’s false. I’m sorry for this. Please stop calling and threatening the numbers.”

She posted a video to assure the public that she was not under duress and had safely returned to her house. “I’m not making this video under duress. I’m very okay, I’m in my house.”

We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.

More from Peoples Gazette

farmers

Agriculture

FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology

The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Katsina State

Politics

Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku

“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Libya map used to illustrate the story.

Africa

Outages: Libya replaces state-owned electricity firm board of directors

The development comes as Libya faces repeated partial and total power grid collapses.

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA)

Lagos

NDLEA intercepts 184.5kg cocaine from Lagos courier firm, nabs two suspects

Mr Marwa said the seizure further exposed Nigeria’s use as a transit hub for illicit drugs destined for foreign countries.

Solomon Lar

States

Lar leadership institute inaugurates planning committee

A committee has been inaugurated to oversee preparations for the formal launch of the Solomon and Mary Lar Institute for Leadership scheduled for October 27 in Abuja.

Troops

States

Troops capture alleged ISWAP terrorists, free kidnapped Cameroonian

Troops of Operation ‘HADIN KAI’ apprehended three suspected ISWAP terrorists, recovered weapons and rescued a Cameroonian national allegedly abducted by terrorists in Borno.

Oluyede

NationWide

Civil-military cooperation needed to defeat terrorists: Defence Chief

Defence chief Olufemi Oluyede says military strength alone cannot defeat terrorism without protecting civilians and building community trust.